User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newish budgie...

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    I've begun trying that. Probably going to take a few days. I do have another question. I have to go away for a couple days for work. Will he lose trust or progress when I leave and come back?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    You should be fine to go away for a day or two without losing all trust. I assume someone else will be caring for your budgie. It may help with the socialization aspect. If he is a little skittish when you return, just take it a little slow until he is comfortable again.

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-03-2017), Lady (08-04-2017), Quakerella (08-03-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Be prepared for the "where the heck have you been all this time" peck when you get back.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-03-2017), Lady (08-04-2017), Quakerella (08-03-2017)

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    Dobi will now hop on my hand to get millet but he still won't step up without allot of encouraging (usually he will hop right back off). He was running around his cage a bit and seems to get excited when I do (from a distance). Ive never tamed a bird before and I'm unsure of how long things usually take. Especially since ever bird is different, I'm still unsure that Dobi will ever really trust and play with me like I've seen other birds do.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Birdtraineewhat,

Welcome to PP. Some birds never do trust to the extent we would like. I've had my Lady for 7 or so years and she still will not step up unless she chooses to do so, which is rare. It's okay with us as we are willing to wait until she is ready although I do still try to get her to do so with treats too. Keep talking, singing or reading to her and give her as much positive attention as you can when she does do what you like.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-05-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-05-2017)

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    Welp. As I feared Dobi doesn't eat from my hand, step up, or even stay near my hand now. It's like everything I did never happened, and have to start over. I'm not sure Dobi will ever actually bond with us now...

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-07-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Could be you are trying too hard. Try sitting someplace with the millet on a table beside you. As Dobi gets used to eating it there (maybe a week), move it closer to you. While sitting there, read a book, watch tv, anything that keeps your attention off Dobi. Next place the millet on the arm of the chair/couch you and sitting on. Your purpose is to get Dobi comfortable with you. Dobi may learn to step up nicely, or not, because not all birds are the same. My peach fronted conure only steps up on my arm and sits on my shoulder. My Barrabands only sit on my shoulder.
    Sounds like you are trying so hard that you may be scaring Dobi off. Just relax, it doesn't have to happen today. Talk to Dobi and let her decide when she is ready to be your friend.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-07-2017), Lady (08-13-2017)

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    No. I dont think that's it. Something about me I guess just isnt working with Dobi. I'm just going to get another budgie and give up. Dobi escaped today, and I'm relatively sure me chasing him/her around the room shot me back to day one. I guess birds just aren't for me. I've been patient but now I'm just too discouraged to keep trying. Thank y'all for trying to help me but unless somebody can tell me how specifically to do this, I'll just get another since the bird has no interest in bonding with people.

Super Moderator

Parrots

There is no guarantee that your next bird will be any easier to build a bond with. Before getting another bird, it might be helpful to read about other people's experiences when they first got their bird. You might find something that relates to your situation and how they managed. It might help you with your next bird.
    I personally am saddened to think that your poor little budgie escaped to heavens knows what.
    I hope you have better luck with your next bird after you are able to get a little more information. I wouldn't want to see the same thing happen again.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 08-07-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    not intending on trying to bond with the other one