User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newish budgie...

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"

Newish budgie...

So had our budgie Dobi for about 3 weeks. He does sing or chit chat unless he hears chirps or crickets on TV or in a YouTube video. He will eat food and millet from our hands. I've gotten him to step up but he's still nervous about doing so. I'm wondering if we're doing something wrong or he just needs more time. He doesn't really move much or play with his toys. I really want him to be the typical budgie that loves people, but he's still in a little shell. Should I continue getting him to step up? He doesn't appear sick.

I want him to bond with us before adding another budgie so what should I do?

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-01-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-01-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi and welcome to PP.

Give your little one some more time. he needs to get used to his surroundings. It is great that he will step up for you. Keep on doing this, it is important that he fully trusts you.
    It will take time and patience, but you are off to a good start.

How old is Dobi?

Can you post some pictures, we would love to see him.

Just curious, why do want to get another budgie?

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-01-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-01-2017)

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    Unsure specifically on age. I do know he is still relatively young as his cere hasn't changed color yet. I can post pics after work tomorrow.

I keep being told I need another budgie because they don't do well alone but I want this one to be bonded to me and not another bird.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome to PP.
    I agree with Rosalyn that you need to be patient to get a true friendship. Sit and talk to the bird, sing to it, even just la la la if you are rubbish at singing like me.
    Be calm and patient and not in a rush because you have other stuff to do. Do that stuff first making sure you have left time to relax with your bird.
    Having more than one bird will probably mean that they will bond with each other rather than you but is a good idea if you are out all day as they will be company for each other. You will need to consider cage size and gender, having chicks can be very time consuming for you.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-01-2017), Quakerella (08-02-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    You have been given good advice so far. Patience is the key. Can't wait to see some pics

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-01-2017), Quakerella (08-02-2017)

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    Should I keep encouraging him to step up even though he's still nervous about it and sometimes avoids it?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Try holding a sprig of millet in front of your budgie with your hand/fingers below it. Let it take a bite. It may take a while, but eventually after a few tries, it will learn to step up on your hand to receive the treat. Never force it.

12. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (08-02-2017)

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    He eats millet and seed from my hand but doesn't step up to get it

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Smarter than the average bird
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Everytime you are offering millet from you hand pull it back just a tiny bit. Eventually he will have to step up to get it, and by that time he would have built up a trust in you

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-02-2017), Lady (08-04-2017)