User Tag List

Thread: New feathered friend coming home today

New feathered friend coming home today

This is Charlie Parker he is about 6 years old. I just picked him up for my son. He was given to me so he would be in a home that would have more play time for him. He is feather plucking. The owner believes it was from not enough attentio. I know when you bring a new parrot home you need to give him time, but I want to make sure he doesn't continue to pluck. He stepped up to my finger pretty easily when I picked him up. Do you think immediately interacting with him would be okay in this situation?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-01-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-31-2017), Lady (08-02-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    What a cutie. Work at the pace of the bird. If he seems comfortable being picked up, you can probably continue. I would test it out by sitting close by, opening the cage and see if Charlie comes to you. If he is hesitant, give him a few days to settle and use a treat or two to encourage stepping up.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-01-2017), Lady (08-02-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Charlie is beautiful.

As Helena said, work at the pace of the bird. If he is going onto your hand easily, he is showing some trust in you. You can build from there.

As for the plucking, not getting enough attention could definitely be a cause. I would also want to get him checked by a vet to make sure there are no underlying issues.

You should look at getting some preening toys for him. That will give him something to pluck and pull at instead of his feathers.

Keep us posted

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-01-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-01-2017), Lady (08-02-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    A friend's bird stopped plucking when we made them a gift of a tub of Nutriberries that Casper decided were surplus to requirements. We are none of us sure why that made the bird stop but hey! Bored of his diet? Lack of a certain vitamin?
    Casper has now decided he likes Nutriberries sometimes. Mostly they get lobbed out of the food bowl onto the floor of his cage. Very occasionally he will go down there and eat a bit. Who can tell what's going on in a little parrots very active brain
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-01-2017), Lady (08-02-2017), Quakerella (08-02-2017)