User Tag List

Thread: Hi (this is only half serious)

Parrots

4 budgies

Hi (this is only half serious)

Hi my preferred name is Ashley because no one ever gets my first name right so whatever. It's my middle name so it's fine. My friends also call me Rezi so that's fine too. I live in Orkensauce (or Arkansas for those who don't actually know because Orkensauce isn't a thing) out in the country/outskirts of my town (which is actually a city but who cares). I have TWO brothers and I only like one of them. The other got me sick with what seems to be a cold so I hate him right now. I can't breathe at all right now. :/

For the greatest thing ever, I've had:
    2 horses, 13 chickens, 24+ cats (I can't remember some of their names), 18 dogs, 2 lizards, 5 hamsters, 11 birds I think I might've miscounted, 1 or 2 guinea pigs, 1 goat, 7 rabbits, 1 deer, 5 sugar gliders, 5-9 fish (can't remember if I had 2 or 5 tetras and 2 bettas or 2 tetras and 1 betta (add in a minnow I kidnapped, and a platy)), 2 turtles, and I think that's it.

I am currently wanting to get a pionus (how is that even spelled), lovebird or maybe my friend's two budgies because they're not in the greatest conditions but we're nowhere near able to do that. I met my dad's Pionus (I forgot his name) and I absolutely love that bird. They're probably a good size for me personally and I can manage some space in my room. I already have plans to rearrange everything so I can find space if I ever get another. I'm currently working on getting my others a larger cage now though to minimize the fighting because it's driving me crazy. Not them, but me. They don't even care.

I've kept my birds flighted because Sam's flights have had trouble growing out because she'd take off and they'd always break of if she hit something. I'm tempted to just clip them so that everyone will be the same and no one has to feel left out (like she used to try and fly with Bud and Lemon and I could see that she tried but she just couldn't make it because her flights would break off all the time). I'm pretty sure they're all doing good, but since money's not easy to come by here, I haven't been able to see a vet except once and he was pretty rude to us so I'm not going back there. I basically just feed them Wild Harvest, ranging from the orange scented seed to cockatiel food solely because of the pellets and they seem to actually like the tiel food more but I'm gonna get some of the other for Skye since she doesn't seem to like it that much.

I don't know what else there is to say. I do ask a lot of question ranging from double checking things, panicking over everything, and all the way up to "hey is my bird dying" "did my bird have a seizure" and yeah I ask questions. That last one was a real question I asked about my tiel that died a few months ago suddenly (but everyone else was perfectly fine so that's why I'm still a little confused). But I am here for the birds so hi

I think I've said too much though I have a habit of doing that but oh well

I wanna see ur birds tho so I'll go do that now I don't know what I put here because I don't wanna read all of that and delete it like I do with everything apparently. Thanks for reading this and tolerating my terrible jokes throughout it. Have a nice day.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-31-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to Precisely Parrots, Ashley. You sound like you have a busy household! For right now, can I ask you some questions so I can get a better understanding of your birds?

Can you tell me what kinds of birds you have?

Where are their cages?

You say there is some fighting. Which ones are fighting?

Why do you want another bird right now?

Let's sort through these questions and we can talk about how to help you with the birds.

Parrots

4 budgies
    I own four budgerigars. Their cage is located in my room where I don't use any chemicals or anything because I don't want them being sick.

As for the fighting, it's more like picking and trying to start trouble like kids do. At first, it was Bud who'd pick on Sam and Lemon, and now Sam's doing it to all of them and I've never really managed to make her stop. I don't know what I did to have Bud stop but I wish I knew.

My main reason for wanting a different species is because I grew up having cockatiels and last year I got into this major phase where I was obsessed with birds and I looked into how budgies act, what they are, what they do, what they eat, etc. and so I finally got one and I've had him since November 1st. I ended up getting two more on November 8 and January 1. Skye was given to me by someone who lives in a town near us and I was talking to her about her health, if she'd had mites, or anything and all that so here I am with her.

After giving my last tiel, Smokey, to my mom and step dad (who is amazed by how big their wingspan gets when they're older), I started thinking about another small parrot. I looked at linnies, lovebirds, parrotlets, conures, bourkes, and a few others and I was dead set on a lutino peach faced lovebird. The one I wanted got sold. Same thing for a dilute pacific parrotlet. After interacting with my dad's Pionus about last week or so, I fell in love with him, his color and just everything about him, so that's one of the things I'm interested in now. But I have to find out what all of them need and find out what I can work with and everything.

So basically I just wanna expand I guess and learn about different birds and how to care for them.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-01-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-31-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Ashley and welcome.

I also would like to know what type of birds you have.

Are they fighting or playing aggressively?

You are obviously an animal lover, are your birds kept away from the other animals?

With a little more information we could probably assist more.

By the way, ever thought of taking up writing as a career?

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-31-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I am not sure, that at this time, a Pionus is a good choice for another bird. Generally, they like calm, predictable routines. Budgies are flighty and chittery by nature and your budgies may create some stress for a pionus. As well, there is a size difference that could be problematic.
    I understand that lovebirds can be territorial.
    A linnie may be a good choice. Keep researching and check for compatibility with other birds so you can get a better idea what would be a good fit.
    Keep in mind that you need separate space for your next bird. It might be a good plan to spend more time with your father's bird and wait until you have the extra space and money for a vet.

Parrots

4 budgies
    Everything's gonna wait until we get everything in control with their cage and all that. I actually am looking forward to spending time with his bird though!

Sam seems to try and play but when she does, Lemon will run away, and Bud will chatter at her and then run off. I know she bobs her head when this happens and that's normally her playing around and stuff. They've never gotten into a full on fight though.

And my goal is actually to try and be either a vet or a doctor. Whichever comes first.

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-01-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Sorry for the confusion with the last post. I typed it then was called away. I didn't check to see if you made another post.

I think you are off to a good start for becoming a vet.

I have never had a pionus, so I am unsure of their temperment.
    Lovebirds can be territorial and little rascals at that. I love the parrotlet and the linnie.

I believe more research needs to be done to find out what might be compatible.
    Even then you don't know how a bird will react to another bird until they are together.

I have to moniter my baby quakers because one was constantly chasing after the others. This was a first for me, this has never happened before with siblings.

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-01-2017)

Parrots

4 budgies
    Yeah. They all have different personalities. Like with Smokey, she's super nice and then both Elvis and Priscilla were aggressive towards everyone.

One of my friends has a parrotlet named Pookie and he's extremely attached to her. She says he's even attacked people who were near her. He's a precious boy though!

I was told on another forum that linnies and budgies don't get along though. I already have to keep these four from fighting each other. Bud however was really curious when I had the babies on the bed once. Compared to him picking on Sam and Lemon, it was surprising. I actually thought he was biting them but they were moving away from him when he looked in at them.

But like you said I have to find out what birds can be around each other first. It just happened that Bud came off his play gym and ran over. Lemon would actually start singing to them when they would cry (in other words every time I moved). But whatever bird I end up with, I hope it works out. Don't need any accidents like someone getting injured

14. The following user likes this post:

Lady (08-05-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    If the birds are not injuring each other they may just be sorting out who is boss. The phrase pecking order springs to mind.
    Being a vet is a great ambition, but be prepared for years of training. Animals and birds can't tell you why they don't feel well like humans can. If you are serious about it, write to the vets in your area and see if any will take you on in your spare time as a trainee. It may be unpaid work but will give you a good idea of what goes on and may assist you in the decision of whether to take the career move in college. It will probably be up to you to see if you can negotiate maybe travel expenses if they say they can't afford to pay you (this will also be good experience for later life ).
    When Casper goes to the vet there is usually a young assistant watching and learning.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

16. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-01-2017)