User Tag List

Thread: Can I have a bird in these conditions?

Can I have a bird in these conditions?

I've been very interested in getting a green cheeked conure as a pet. I'm rather new to birds so I need advice on my situation. I would love to have a pet bird but I have to move between two houses on a weekly basis since my parents are divorced. I know these birds crave attention so I assumed I'd have to bring it back and forth with me. Is this a bad idea? Do birds hate riding in the car? Would I be adding too much stress to the birds life? Thank you for any and all answers.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-29-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Penguins,

Welcome to P.P. Some birds don't mind the traveling but depending on their personality it could differ. Your bird would have to be tame enough for you to get into a travel cage.
    What is the weather like all year around where you live? Could she or he deal with it or will you be needing to insulate her from the cold days? And be mindful of the temperature in the car your traveling. Birds could get a chill and become sick.
    I wouldn't subject your bird to all the traveling right away because you first have to build some trust with him or her so they don't get stressed. I would think it would take alot of work to get your bird use to two different houses. It isn't a quick thing with birds, they have to get familiar with their surrounding before they are comfortable and that could take some time.
    Different or new things can frighten a bird too. You would also have to make sure the houses are bird proof. The cookware, cleaning products, noise level to name a few. I'm sure other's will come along and give you their thoughts on it too.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-30-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-29-2017), Quakerella (07-30-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I agree with Lady. She has asked you some good questions. What is the distance between the homes? Would you be able to set up a specific area in each home for your bird? You are really being quite responsible sorting this stuff out before getting a bird.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (07-29-2017), Quakerella (07-30-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Great advice and some good questions from Alice and Helena. And I agree that your concern and forethought are impressive
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-30-2017), Lady (07-29-2017), Quakerella (07-30-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi and Welcome,

I fully agree with everything stated above. Birds don't mind the travel, but the stress of travelling before he/she has built trust could pose a problem. Also, the stress of becoming familiar with the new surroundings and people could be too much for a new bird.

I also agree it is wonderful to see you do your research before jumping in.

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-30-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper likes to ride in the car, and if we are going home or to somewhere he has been before his birdy gps lets him know when we are nearly there and he gets excited. We tell him to hold tight when reaching a turning or sharp bend but he tends to spend most of the journey with one foot on the perch and the other clinging on to the side bars of the cage. Although he does have the occasional foray hanging upside down from the top of the travel cage. Look at me, I'm a bat
    Do not have the bird loose in the car, and strap the cage down so it won't move about.
    I hope you have a car with soft suspension, not a 'modern' with a ride that rattles your teeth fillings out so she has a comfortable journey.
    Here is a video of Casper riding in our 1969 Citroen DS Safari (I may have posted this before)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiaOISfmJyvKgvwxlUFPV4FE0tcAnQ
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom