User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1 month mark with Katie

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw

My 1 month mark with Katie

Hello guys! I just want to express my gratitude on your advice and warm welcome! It's helped so much in this crazy journey!

Wanted to share how my first month with Katie has gone!

She is still a total sweetheart and cuddle bug but the Sassiness has definitely come through- she is part Scarlet after all! I say sassy because she is an older bird so she wants what she wants! She loves to dance and laugh and is highly entertained by the kids! So far only my 12 year old son has been able to handle her a handful of times, she's pinched him a handful of times as well. Lol

As for socializing, she's warmed up to two of our guy friends right away- one never have handled any bird. I believe she likes males and dislikes kids (which I don't blame her).

The only hiccups are that she is pretty stubborn, if she's on my shoulder and doesn't want to get off she hides behind my neck lol- she will step back up when I use my stern Mommy voice though.

She also is not a vegetable fan and I've tried so many options! Any advice? I make her smoothies for now but would love to see if I can get her to eat the wonderful medley of veggies I make her - I heard that I should do one of veggies and a separate one of fruit and not mix them but that still doesn't work.

She also is pretty bonded to me and still screams when I leave the room, believe it or not, I just tune it out now

I cannot be more in love with this girl, she has stolen all our hearts and feel so blessed!! She is absolutely amazing!

Had to share a photo of her 2 months ago and her now- her feathers and demeanor have changed so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-25-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017), kendrafitz (07-24-2017), Lady (07-27-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-25-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks for the update. Katie looks wonderful!

Have you tried Katie on some cooked sweet potato? I mash mine and add a little Ceylon cinnamon along with other things. All of my birds like it.

What vegetables have you tried to give her?

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (07-27-2017), MacawMomma (07-24-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-25-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Thanks for the update. Katie looks wonderful!

Have you tried Katie on some cooked sweet potato? I mash mine and add a little Ceylon cinnamon along with other things. All of my birds like it.

What vegetables have you tried to give her?
    Thank you!

I have not tried sweet potato actually, thanks for the advice!

I've tried a ton of veggie medleys- too many combos to list. These are some:

Spinach
    Kale
    Swiss Chard
    Red lettuce
    Broccoli
    Sprouts
    Carrots
    Celery
    Cucumbers
    Peppers- red, yellow, green

None of these have interested her at all! Lol

But boy does she LOVE fruit!! Haha

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017), Lady (07-27-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Well, a trick I use to get my birds to eat the nasty greens is to chop it up fine, add some frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas and carrot mix) and chopped frozen mango and strawberries. The chopped greens stick to the fruit.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (07-27-2017), MacawMomma (07-24-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-25-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Well, a trick I use to get my birds to eat the nasty greens is to chop it up fine, add some frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas and carrot mix) and chopped frozen mango and strawberries. The chopped greens stick to the fruit.
    Love the ideas- thank you!

I've tried the food processor with adding some fruit with the veggies but she'll end up trying to pick the fruit out! Haha
    Maybe I should try a finer setting?

She's a funny bird- the only veggie she does like is corn, go figure!

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-25-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Katie is beautiful, she has come a long way and you are doing a wonderful job with her.

When I am weaning birds onto veggies, they always go for the corn. Corn is sweet and they love it.

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-25-2017), Lady (07-27-2017), MacawMomma (07-25-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-25-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    Katie is beautiful, she has come a long way and you are doing a wonderful job with her.

When I am weaning birds onto veggies, they always go for the corn. Corn is sweet and they love it.
    Thank you so much!! I'm trying! It really is like having a toddler all over again!

She's loved corn from the very beginning, especially on the cob- who doesn't right?

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-25-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-25-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    What a pretty girl... I love her color scheme! If it turns out that she likes the sweet potatoes, you might try chopping up some leafy greens (like kale) and mixing them in. Finicky birds are difficult.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

16. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-25-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Katie is not alone, Casper also won't eat his veggies especially if they are green. Sweet potato and carrot when cooked are acceptable.
    They say you are what you eat and he is very sweet.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-26-2017), plax (07-25-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    What a pretty girl... I love her color scheme! If it turns out that she likes the sweet potatoes, you might try chopping up some leafy greens (like kale) and mixing them in. Finicky birds are difficult.
    Thank you, these Hybrids can look so different! I've seen other Catalinas that are more orange. I do love how healthier she looks now- makes Momma happy

Her old owner said she would not eat anything green, so I'm getting creative! I'm a health food nut so the importance of green veggies is huge in my book! I'll keep trying new things haha

Definitely will be trying the sweet potato trick- thank you!

20. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-26-2017), plax (07-25-2017)