User Tag List

Thread: Need advice on hand-rearing baby budgies

Parrots

Budgies

Need advice on hand-rearing baby budgies

My brother's budgies recently had babies. Unfortunately something managed to take/kill the parents when the 2 babies were about 1 week old, even though the cage had a layer of chicken wire all around it. Due to his work schedule, my brother couldn't commit to raising the babies himself, so I took them as there's always someone home in my house. We don't really know what we're doing other than the basics: feed them and keep them warm and clean. I've asked for advice at a few different pet shops but none of them really have a clue. So I have quite a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

We think they're about 5-6 weeks old now, but there's a huge difference between the two - photos below. The smaller one is only 1 day younger but it's really underdeveloped compared to the big one. It was half the size of the big one at 1 week old when I got them off my brother. That being said, it has grown more in the past week than it did during the first 4-5 weeks. Its feathers are coming through now but about 2-3 weeks ago it had flaky skin and no one at the pet shop knew what the cause of that was. I haven't had any issues with feeding it. The bigger one is quite well feathered and starting to use its wings now. It can fly over 1 foot directly up and can go between sticks and perch.

So my questions are:
    1. Why is the smaller baby so far behind in terms of development?
    2. How do I go about weaning the bigger one? What do I feed it, how often etc.
    3. Should the big one be spending more time in its small cage so it can get better at flying/perching etc. rather than in the shoe box with the little one? The little one seems to want to huddle quite a bit still even when it's warm, so I'm not sure how it would cope if I left it alone during the day while the big one is in the cage.
    4. Are there any other tips or info I should know? If it wasn't obvious, I've never done this before and don't really know what I'm doing most of the time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20385439.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	4966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170724_170132.jpg 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	4967

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi and Welcome.

Is there a breeder close to you that can help with the feeding, or show you how to do it. If this is possible it would be the best for the babies.

I am currently weaning baby quakers and will help you any way I can.

In all the years I have been breeding I have never come across such a difference in two birds that hatched a day apart. They look to be weeks apart. I will see what I can find out regarding the growth and size.
    If you go to the quaker section and check out the thread "New Arrivals" you will see the normal difference between birds that have hatched one day apart. I am really stumped with this.

You want to abundance wean the older one. This means let him/her wean on its own time, do not force it. Weaning is a stressful time for a bird.
    Keep pellets and water in the cage at all times. Give them soft foods to start, cooked vegetables, scrambled eggs, whole grain bread, soft fruits. They will learn very quickly to pick them up and try them. Try giving them some by hand to see if they peck at it.

I grind pellets until they are like sand and also feed them this. Keep doing this until you see them eating the regular pellets on their own all the time. After they are fully weaned keep pellets in their cage, and continue to feed them fresh fruit and veggies, pasta and rice, egg etc. Do not feed avocado, as they are poisonous and stay away from junk like chocolate, chips etc.

Personally, I would keep them separate because of the size difference. The older one needs to develop and learn. The little one will eventually do the same, when it is ready. Baby birds do huddle, they need the warmth and security. If you have a soft cotton T-shirt you could cut it up so the baby will have something to huddle with(making sure there are no loose threads. You won't need to worry about it chewing it because the beak is too soft.

You said you were using a shoebox, where do you have it? What have you lined the bottom with? Do you know the inside temperature of the box?
    I hope this help a little, but if you have any other questions please, please ask. We will all help as much as we can.
    Last edited by Quakerella; 07-25-2017 at 01:31 AM.

3. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017)

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    Oh my!! They are so cute!!!

I cannot offer advice but I agree to try and find a breeder.

Keep us updated! And congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017), Quakerella (07-25-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum!

I agree with what Rosalyn/Quakerella has said. Can you have a vet check out the smaller one?

7. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (07-25-2017)

Parrots

Budgies
    Thanks for all the advice so far. We're feeding them Vetafarm Neocare formula as recommended by the pet shop. We started with a needless syringe but swapped to a bent spoon and both birds eat very well off that.

We have a big cage out the back for our other budgies and chickens, but for now we've turned a cardboard box into a temporary cage for the bigger baby to learn and play in. Would you suggest leaving it in that all the time while it weans, or should we put it back in the shoe box with the little one at night? It's winter here at the moment and it's generally around 7-10 degrees Celsius at the coldest time of day, around 5-7am, but it does get down to 2 degrees once or twice a week.

The shoe box is lined with old soft shirts. We don't have brooders or anything because this is a one-off and they're so expensive. The pet shop suggested heating up a wheat pack and putting it under the shirts to keep them warm, and covering most of the box with a light throw/towel. It seems to be okay given that the bigger baby is doing great.

As for the weaning, should I still be feeding the budgie its formula too? And how often should they be fed? We're currently feeding them every 3 hours with a break overnight between 10:30pm and 6am so their crops can empty. And so we can sleep. Do the vegetables used for weaning need to be fresh or can we cook frozen veggies, like carrot?

This is our make-shift cage. Do you think it's big enough or should we be trying to find a proper, second-hand cage?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	548862245.jpg 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	4968

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I will try to answer some of your questions. Is it your plan to keep the budgies?
    I would definitely get a second hand cage for the bigger budgie. I think your smaller one should still be in a smaller container. Is there a way to at least shine an incandescent light bulb in it's box. They do throw off a little heat. As to feeding vegetables, I would try cooking and mashing for the next little while and slowly introduce finely chopped vegetables.
    I would stay on the formula for now as they have had a bit of a rocky start. The larger budgie could probably start having one less feeding if you are introducing cooked veggies. I hope this helps.

10. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (07-26-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Sorry for the late response.

Budgies wean very quickly, and most are known to be fully weaned at 6 weeks.

What Helena has said is a good idea. Hand feed first and offer soft foods to the larger budgie, keep pellets in the cage at all time. I find it easier to wean if they have been hand fed first. Gradually cut out one feeding per day, then another. You will quickly find they are eating on their own and begging less and less. Watch closely to make sure they are actually eating the pellets and not playing with them. It is easy to tell if they are eating enough. Hold the baby in your hand and feel the breast area. You will feel a bone going all the way down the center. If this is protruding and there is not much meat on either side, then they are not eating enough and continue to hand feed to make sure they are getting enough nutrients.

As for the little one, I would keep offering formula to him until he rejects it. He obviously has had a stressful beginning and you don't want to add to it. I think every three hours is too soon and you are not giving the crop a chance to empty. I would cut the feedings back to every 5-6 hours.

A heating pad under the box would work well for the little one. It is important to keep him warm. He doesn't have the feathers to do it, so it will be up to you. The older one is fully feathered and won't require any extra heat, an average room temperature would be fine; I would say 72 - 78. Make sure neither birds are close to a window or another area that may give off a draught.

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-26-2017)