User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i get a rescue bird?

Should i get a rescue bird?

I am expecting to get a baby sun conure in the next couple of weeks or so but an adorable 15 year old rescued harliquin macaw came into the store i am getting my bird at. He is the same price as my other bird so i wouldnt have to pay more for the bird. (I know i would be investing more into the cage and other stuff for him) Im kind of new to owning birds i had a golden finch when i was little and then 2 parakeets so i would be scared i wouldnt have the proper life for him. But i know a lot because ive been using the past 4 months to research about all types of birds. I just kind of been going back and forth in my mind and i need an answer so i can set my mind straight.
    Last edited by Liam; 07-24-2017 at 01:04 PM.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Hi and welcome, Liam. I'll start by posing a few questions...

Please describe the environment you would be providing for this macaw. My concerns include: How much room can you provide for a large macaw? What's the largest cage size you are able to furnish? What about an adequate play stand? Please describe your family situation as far as adults and children in your home? More specifically, how many family members would be living around/interacting with this bird and what are their feelings about having a large parrot in your home? Do you have other pets? How much out-of-cage time per day do you anticipate this macaw would be granted? Would the bird be spending much time alone locked in its cage? Have you personally spent much time around this bird and/or around other large macaws? Have you handled this bird at all yet? How is the bird's disposition while in your presence? Are you certain that you, the other folks in your home, and your neighbors will be able to tolerate the potentially frequent screaming sessions of a large macaw? Do you have access to a nearby avian veterinarian? Have you researched the dietary requirements and other essentials (toys, maintenance supplies, etc.) entailed in properly caring for a large macaw?

So those are some questions for which your answers will help me address whether or not I think you should bring home this harlequin macaw. Other members may be along as well with additional questions and opinions.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-24-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017), Lady (07-27-2017), MacawMomma (07-24-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome Liam
    I am not able to offer advice on bigger birds as I have never been lucky enough to have one live with me. However I am much in favour of people adopting rescue birds and giving them love and attention after they have been traumatized by the loss of their previous home. It is a big commitment and needs a lot of thinking through, think about what is going to happen when you go on holiday, also would the bird be left all day while you go to work, are you within reasonable distance of an avian vet should the bird become poorly.
    These problems are surmountable, so if you feel able go for it. If the store are doing their job properly they will want to make sure that you can give the bird a decent loving home so be prepared for that but also do not be surprised if all they are after is your money.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-24-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Liam and Welcome to PP

I have to agree with Tony and Jean-Pierre.

I have never had a large bird in my home so I can't give you any sound advice. I will leave this up to Tony and Kendra. They will be able to guide you in the right direction.

Providing a home for a rescue bird is wonderful, but if you are unable to properly care for and provide the right environment it could be detrimental.
    The worst thing for him is to start to settle in with a new family and then be returned to the store.
    Last edited by Quakerella; 07-24-2017 at 05:07 PM.

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-24-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017), Lady (07-27-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-24-2017)

I currently live in an apartment, but i'll be moving into a house shortly. There are just 2 people in my house me and my mom. I have 2 chihuahua's but they would probably be scared for the most part. Im still going to school so i may not be home until 2-3ish. The biggest space i could provide for him is around 4ft. By 4ft. A little more probably. When i visit my sun conure there is a 4 month old miligold macaw out all the time but i got him to like me now and i have been bit by him before so im prepared for a bite. I have gotton side tracked a lot and start watching macaw videos do i know a lot of what i should expect and do to provide the life he needs. He would have around 6 hours out of the cage on an average day and would have 8 hours in his cage on weekdays but when i would move to a house i would probably get an outdoor Aviary for him. I have not handled him yet but i would ask if i got more serious about getting him. Actually though i have never heard him scream at all he only talks and makes little grunt noises, so my neighbors probably wouldnt even know i have a macaw! I live pretty close to a vet its like a 5-10 minute drive. i hope this helps you. Thank you for your help!

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    Not an expert by any means but being a new Macaw mom I thought I'd put in my 2 cents:

I think it's great that you are reading and watching YouTube videos. I definitely did that as well as asked other Macaw owners for advice and THAT is the best advice in my opinion!

The fact that he doesn't scream now definitely does not mean he won't scream once he gets home. My Katie was the quietest Macaw in her rescue and now can almost break windows if not my ear drum lol

I watch my in laws Conure quite a bit and really do think that the amount of space you have as well as time would work better for that breed of bird.

Again, not trying to scare you but not only do you need a cage but you need at least a few play areas that may take up even more space than the cage.

You could always get a Macaw down the line once you move into your new home.

Just my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-24-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-24-2017), Quakerella (08-19-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum Liam. I think you have gotten some good questions and advice from the other members. I tend to agree with Celia/MacawMomma.
    For right now, it appears that the conure is a better fit, given the space you have available. I commend your doing the research and trying to make the best decision in the circumstances. Please let us know what you decide and we will help with questions and concerns you may have.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

PlaxMacaws (07-24-2017), Quakerella (08-19-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    ...Providing a home for a rescue bird is wonderful, but if you are unable to properly care for and provide the right environment it could be detrimental.
    The worst thing for him is to start to settle in with a new family and then be returned to the store.
    This. Please make sure that the rest of the family will be as loving and supportive as you are to the new family member. Even when he/she is driving them mad.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-24-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Liam: Based upon your answers, I have to say that I also think acquiring a large macaw may turn out to be a greater burden upon your living situation than you may realize. And more importantly, it may ultimately result in yet another misfortune for the rescued macaw - that's of course despite that your intent is to help the poor bird. I'm not saying that there's absolutely no chance you might make it work. But you've mentioned a number of things that concern me. Celia and other members have expressed some of the very concerns that I have.

I feel that you should especially avoid bringing a large macaw into an apartment setting - even if doing so would merely be on a temporary basis. One of the greatest requirements for maintaining a happy and healthy large macaw is an ample availability of space. Moreover, as has been stated, you can't very accurately judge the screaming potential of a large macaw based upon it's behavior in a particular setting. Please be aware that every macaw has the potential to scream, and to do so very loudly and quite frequently! And ideally there should be someone home with your bird for the greater portion of each day - that's both for reasons of safety and emotional well-being, since macaws are on the needy side as far as parrots go.

At the very least, I feel that your best option would either be to wait until you've moved into a house with more room and better isolation from neighbors, or simply go with the sun conure.

Lastly, I want to say that your research, questions and concerns are to be commended. Despite my advice to you herein, it's truly wonderful that you're inclined to help an older bird by giving it a second chance . I would simply request that you weigh all of the factors and potentials before adopting the macaw.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

17. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-25-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017), Lady (07-27-2017)

Thank you all so much! I will let you know when i reach a decision!

19. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-25-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-25-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-25-2017)