User Tag List

Thread: Poofy Budgies

Parrots

Baby, a little blue Budgie & Shamrock, a fluffy green Budgie

Poofy Budgies

I recently went out of town with my parents and friend for vacation and left my older sister in charge of taking care of birds for the weekend (feeding, watering, socializing, etc) and from what I've heard they reacted well. They ran around my floor, ate fine, and Baby even perched on my sister's head. However, according to her they were puffed up the entire time I was gone. They were also puffed up when I got home Sunday, and after about an hour they went back to normal. I thought this was odd because the only times they ever puff up is when they're sleepy or cold. They don't have any signs of illness, so I don't think they're sick. Does anyone have any idea why they poofed like that?

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-18-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to Precisely Parrots, Erica! With regard to why your budgies were puffed up, maybe they were reacting to the change in their routine with your absence. I would watch them closely for further changes in behaviour and be ready for a vet visit if they start settling at the bottom of the cage. Again, it could just have been the change in routine for them.
    We would love to see some pictures.

4. The following user likes this post:

Lady (07-19-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Erica and welcome.

I hope you had a good vacation.

If this is the first time someone else has taken care of your birds they could be a little stressed due to the change.

Are their droppings normal? Eyes are round and bright? Did they eat well while you were away?

If they have returned to their normal selves, and are eating, drinking and playing you probably don't have
    anything to worry about, but a vet check up never hurts, just to be sure.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-19-2017), Lady (07-19-2017)