User Tag List

Thread: Bird bread question

Bird bread question

I'm thinking about making Apache(tiel) and Zippity(green cheek) some birdie bread.

I was going to mix flour, applesauce, and eggs. Then add a few veggies and crushed pellets.

I have a few questions though. I know that whole wheat is best but right now I'm not working because I work at a school. I have a lot of regular bleached flour. Would this be safe?

Also can i use Pam to grease the pan or what do you grease the pan with?

What are your favorite things to add to birdie bread? Can I add some seeds?

Do you feed it warm or cold?

Thank you : -)

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-16-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I haven't made bird bread in years bc my girl won't eat it.

A lot of people use jiffy corn bread mix as a base. I would think white flour wouldn't hurt, just not as healthy as the others. Pam is fine I would think.

Flax or chia seeds would probably be yummy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-16-2017), mdg1109 (10-29-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I don't use a lot of flour in mine. I wish I could find the recipe. I am still looking.
    I use corn meal, egg with the shell, veggies, cooked brown rice and a little whole wheat flour. Sometimes I use All Bran cereal with fruit, I have also used chopped up cooked pasta with rice and veggies, corn meal, and egg. I only use enough flour to hold everything together. Just before and during breeding season I don't give them the shell of the egg, but I add crushed almonds.

My birds seem to enjoy it more when it is warm. I don't usually use anything to grease the pan. I am not sure of the ingredients in Pam so I can't comment. I would definitely check first. You can actually put them into little paper muffin cups and then peel off the paper. Freeze whatever is left for later.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-16-2017), kendrafitz (07-16-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I haven't made bird bread but once. Having just one bird to treat it doesn't get eaten quick enough. I did a quick search and found this link that might be helpful to you ---http://floridaparrotrescue.com/education/recipes/

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-16-2017), Quakerella (07-17-2017)