User Tag List

Thread: Help!!!! Advice needed please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parrots

Eclectus , Sun Conure

Unhappy Help!!!! Advice needed please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi!
    I have 2 really big problems i NEED advice with. Im new to this bird owning thing. PLEASE HELP!!!!

So i have an Eclectus and a Sun Conure.
    They do not like each other and they both CONSTANTLY squawk. Everyone in my house is getting mad and annoyed and they're forcing me to get rid of one of them. I REALLY REALLY love my babies and can't get rid of them. Please give me advice on this. How can i get them to be less squawky ?? i can't put them in separate rooms because they still squawk :/

ALSO - My sun conure is TERRIFIED of his flight suit. I love him soo much and he will squawk until i pick him up.. I can't hold him because he poops so much like seriously every 10 minutes. I understand i can put him back on his cage to let him poop but i can't always predict when hes going to poop.. people told me to just keep putting on his flight suit until he gets use to it but it literally takes me 20 minutes to get it on him. He will fly around and hop around until he is panting like a dog and he will also bite me..I feel so so so bad everytime i put it on him but i feel even worse just leaving him on his cage all day.. I don't know what to do Advice please??

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    We would love to see pictures of your babies. I will try to advise you from my perspective.

How old are they, how long have you had them?

Sun conures are known for being noisy, so some of your difficulty with the sun may be related to it's personality.

They may need to be taught to play independently. Can you post a pic of their cage set-ups? They may need some tweaking to encourage playing/foraging. One thing about squawking , every time you respond, you reinforce it.

I have an eclectus and I found that he is pretty quiet, but complains loudly when my barrabands get noisy. Your eclectus may be letting you know that it is suffering noise overload.

Do you have music or the tv on for your birds?

How much out of cage time do they get?

What is their diet?

When do they wake up, what time do they go to sleep?

All of these things may have an impact on their mood, which in turn may lead to screaming.

With regard to the flight suit. If you are forcing your sun to wear it, it may eventually hate it and you will never experience success. You may have to start desensitizing it all over again. In the meantime, you are teaching it to bite, yikes! I hate bites myself...lol. Can you place a towel around your shoulders when it is with you? Is it flighted? My birds have learned to fly to their cages when they want to poop. What about a play stand on wheels? That way if you are sitting in a chair, it could be beside you. One thing I have learned since having birds, I am used to their poop. It's just part of the experience of having birds. I am sure others will be along with other ideas.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (07-13-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-12-2017), Quakerella (07-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Shay and welcome to PP.

Great advise and questions from Helena, and right on point.

Sun conures are noisy. This is part of their personalities and a very difficult one to change. I agree it may be affecting (upsetting) the eclectus as well.

Extra toys and stimulation or attention for the sun may alleviate the squawking a little, and in turn settle the eclectus.

As for the poop, I believe forcing him to wear a flight suit may contribute to some bad behaviour, such as the biting. This is a birds way of protecting themselves when they feel threatened. I keep a towel over my shoulder or wear an old Tshirt, and a roll of paper towel or box of tissues are always within reach. His diet may be contributing to the constant pooping and could require a slow change.

Once we find out a little more info from Helena's questions we may be able to help a little more.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-12-2017), Lady (07-13-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-12-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hi and welcome
    everyone in the house needs to show patience and tolerance. Showing annoyance generally tends to make parrots react even more.
    Did you acquire both birds at the same time and did they come from the same source? What made you choose these two differing types? Did you do any research on the breeds before you got them?
    There are many cupboards and drawers around the world with flight suits and harnesses that bird refuse to have anything to do with. http://flockcall.com/tao-of-felix/flight-harness/
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 07-12-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-12-2017), Lady (07-13-2017), plax (07-16-2017)