User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meet Marcy

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    My advice with the hands is then just have her step up on your arm. Rosie sometimes gets testy when I use my fingers. She generally prefers climbing into my arm or shoulder. I think it gives her more of a sense of control/security. Which is fine with me, whatever works.

I feel for you, those little beaks can HURT! I am actually more nervous with the little beaks than the big ones. The little ones go for blood.

When Rosie pinches me I tell her Ouch! That is not nice, you are hurting Mommy. I don't really subscribe to the whole ignore it theory. But obviously I think everyone should do what works for them.

The reason I do this is if one parrot hurts another, they don't ignore it. Rosie needs to know she hurt me and needs to be more gentle. If she is playing I will grab her beak and tell her to be GENTLE. If she is mad, I tell her that wasn't nice and she is removed from my person.

Marcy probably just needs time to figure out you love her and she is safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-14-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-14-2017), plax (07-16-2017), Quakerella (07-24-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I am with Kendra on this. My Ekkie will not step up on my fingers/hand, but will on my arm. Same as my peach front conure. I too will not let a bite go without giving the offender the stinkeye and a firm no.
    I am sure you and Marcy will figure out what works the best.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (07-14-2017), plax (07-16-2017), Quakerella (07-24-2017)

Marcy is such a sweet little bird.

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I did try the reprimand approach with our quaker. It could just be in their personality, but he liked to go for my ear. I would pull away and say "No, that's my ear." Now he says "That's my ear" as he is foraging through my hair looking for it.

IMO, I think every bird seems to respond differently, some the reprimand approach works, and some the ignoring approach works. I think you need to try different ways until you find what works.

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017)