User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meet Marcy

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels

You have the right idea of staying calm and trying not to react. I know it is hard, been bitten many times.

It may take a little time for her to trust you. Very slow movements around her so she doesn't feel threatened. She needs to know that you are not going to hurt her.

Do you know anything about her background?
    Last edited by Quakerella; 07-12-2017 at 04:21 AM.

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-12-2017), Lady (07-13-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcy_14 View Post
    My phone seems to be a trigger...lol so now I have it put away when she's out. Last time she bit me was yesterday she was on my shoulder chattery away and then starts going down my arm and before I know it she's got my finger.
    Does she step up onto your finger without biting? Is it only your hand she bites?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcy_14 View Post
    My phone seems to be a trigger...lol so now I have it put away when she's out. Last time she bit me was yesterday she was on my shoulder chattery away and then starts going down my arm and before I know it she's got my finger.
    Casper has come to hate cameras. Maybe he is self-conscious of his image that he sees on the laptop. And coffee cups - we can't pick up a cup whilst he is on us else there is a coffee apocalypse as he attacks the hand holding the mug.
    Just letting you know you are not alone
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-12-2017), Lady (07-13-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    My son's lovebird bird is protective of his rubix cubes. He had a set sitting on his dresser. As a joke I go in and mix them all up, but if quaggy is out of his cage he will charge right at me, head down, beak open, wing slightly raised.

7. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-12-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-12-2017), Lady (07-13-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-12-2017)

Parrots

Parrotlet
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Casper has come to hate cameras. Maybe he is self-conscious of his image that he sees on the laptop. And coffee cups - we can't pick up a cup whilst he is on us else there is a coffee apocalypse as he attacks the hand holding the mug.
    Just letting you know you are not alone
    Glad I'm not alone...lol we will get her figured out. She still a sweetheart, just has her moments lol

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-12-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-12-2017), Lady (07-13-2017)

Parrots

Parrotlet
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    My son's lovebird bird is protective of his rubix cubes. He had a set sitting on his dresser. As a joke I go in and mix them all up, but if quaggy is out of his cage he will charge right at me, head down, beak open, wing slightly raised.
    oh boy! I think she may think the phone is hers. Crazy lil birds....

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-12-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-12-2017), Quakerella (07-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi, welcome to you both. So nice to see Marcy as we love pics . From my experience Marcy may be "testing the waters" so to speak. She has to learn what is tolerated and what will get her a "time out". I'm sure in time she will become more trusting and learn what makes both of you happy. Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-14-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-13-2017)

Parrots

Parrotlet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Does she step up onto your finger without biting? Is it only your hand she bites?
    She doesn't like hands or fingers. She'll step up on ur arm or shoulder.

Parrots

Parrotlet
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    You have the right idea of staying calm and trying not to react. I know it is hard, been bitten many times.

It may take a little time for her to trust you. Very slow movements around her so she doesn't feel threatened. She needs to know that you are not going to hurt her.

Do you know anything about her background?
    That's what we do, slow movements lol. Don't know except he said she was hand trained since he had her at 3 months. But he hasn't had much time in the last few months to spend time with her with him working and going to school. And now dislikes hands and fingers which kinda makes everything difficult lol.

16. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-14-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Try holding a pencil and getting her to step up onto that. If she tries to attack your hand from the pencil just drop it so she has to fly to the floor. Then offer her a finger to get up from the floor to eye level so you can have a chat about what she did wrong. Keep trying and hopefully she will see sense and just wander casually along the pencil onto your finger pretending that there never was a problem.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

18. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-14-2017), kendrafitz (07-14-2017), Lady (07-16-2017)