User Tag List

Thread: Rosie Being "Mama"

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Rosie Being "Mama"

Since Rosie is so toddler like, I have decided to handle bringing the new chicks in the same way I did with my older child when the younger was coming. We told my son the baby was his baby and he actually picked out my daughters middle name. It worked well bc instead of feeling left out, he felt important and was excited.

So I have told Rosie she is the baby chicks Mama. I told her the chicks have 4 Mamas, me, my daughter, Rosie and the Mama they will live with when they are big enough. It's funny, I wasn't sure she would get it. But she has. I have asked if she is their Mama and she nods yes vigorously. She lets me play with them on the floor while she monitors the babies from her stand. Which is huge, as Rosie is a very jealous girl.

But yesterday you could have knocked me over with a feather. Rosie never talks to herself and usually sits quietly on top of my shower while I get ready. Unless we are chatting or singing. So as I was getting ready in the bedroom I hear her chatting quietly in the bathroom. The chicks are now in a huge crate in a board on top of my tub.

Here is a pic of the setup - the back right side is their crate.

So sitting on the shower, she has a perfect view of them. Then I hear her say in her garbled way, "Are you a good girl?" Then OOOOOs and AAAAAAs. Just very sweet. I tried to get a video of it without her noticing. Please ignore the horrible camera work.

I just love my sweet red girl.
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 07-07-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-07-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-07-2017), Lady (07-08-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-08-2017), Quakerella (07-08-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Nice approach . It seems that a touch of parrot/human psychology can work wonders. Please keep us updated on whether it has a lasting effect.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-07-2017), kendrafitz (07-07-2017), Quakerella (07-08-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Great video. Loved it when she bobbed her head agreeing with you. Rosie is a sweetie.

6. The following 4 users like this post:

kendrafitz (07-08-2017), Lady (07-08-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-08-2017), Quakerella (07-08-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Awwwwwww Rosie is so cute! It sounded toward the very end that she is saying, Hello, I'm your Mama!!

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-08-2017), kendrafitz (07-09-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-09-2017), Quakerella (07-08-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Rosie is adorable.

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-09-2017), kendrafitz (07-09-2017), Lady (07-13-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-09-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Rosie Being "Mama"

Thanks!!

She is really wanting to become more involved with the girls. Which can't happen. They are so small and I have no clue if macaws and chickens are a good idea.

Yesterday Ash and a friend had the girls in their play yard in my room. Rosie demanded I get her and then sat at the edge of the bed watching over them and chatting. I had to keep a close eye on her in case she thought it would be a good idea to get down with them.

Hoping things keep going well!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-09-2017), Lady (07-13-2017), plax (07-10-2017)