User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Target Training for Macaws

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Target Training for Macaws

That actually would be a great bonding experience for your kids and Katie. Fun and treats, what could be better?

I would get a stick like object or toy and show it to her. Then put it a few feet from her. Then I would ask her to get it and make the click noise. When she would get it I would tell her to let me have it and remove it before she destroyed it.

Then she got lots of praise, kisses and pieces of cashews. Rosie is not food driven at all so she would generally drop the cashew. But she loved all of the over the top OOOOOs and AAAAAAs and kisses.

We never did anything that complicated. Some people will do target training with flying but Rosie is a horrible flyer.

As someone who only plays around here and there with target training, I think the key is to find out what drives Katie and reward her with that. Food, affection, etc.

We have also done it with a box and toys. I had her drop the toys in the box. I guess just any task you can have her perform and then reward her.

It's amazing how smart they are, I had no clue. I read somewhere macaws have the intelligence of an 8 year old but the emotional tolerance of a toddler. In my opinion that is right on. Smart, smart, smart!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-05-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-05-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), MacawMomma (07-05-2017), plax (07-06-2017), Quakerella (07-06-2017)

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    That actually would be a great bonding experience for your kids and Katie. Fun and treats, what could be better?

I would get a stick like object or toy and show it to her. Then put it a few feet from her. Then I would ask her to get it and make the click noise. When she would get it I would tell her to let me have it and remove it before she destroyed it.

Then she got lots of praise, kisses and pieces of cashews. Rosie is not food driven at all so she would generally drop the cashew. But she loved all of the over the top OOOOOs and AAAAAAs and kisses.

We never did anything that complicated. Some people will do target training with flying but Rosie is a horrible flyer.

As someone who only plays around here and there with target training, I think the key is to find out what drives Katie and reward her with that. Food, affection, etc.

We have also done it with a box and toys. I had her drop the toys in the box. I guess just any task you can have her perform and then reward her.

It's amazing how smart they are, I had no clue. I read somewhere macaws have the intelligence of an 8 year old but the emotional tolerance of a toddler. In my opinion that is right on. Smart, smart, smart!!

Target training really makes sense for flying to me. But like Rosie, Katie is not a flyer. Even her previous owner said she flies like a rock lol

I'm going to probably give her a good month and introduce it a couple of minutes a day with me and the kids. Love the idea of incorporating things with her toys. She loves to play ball and throw those plastic links.

So sweet how Rosie is affection driven!! Katie is food driven hands down!! She loves almonds, cashews, pine nuts. And those are given only as treats by the kids

Thank you again Kendra!!!

4. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-06-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-05-2017), kendrafitz (07-05-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), plax (07-06-2017), Quakerella (07-06-2017)