User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Training for Macaws

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw

Target Training for Macaws

Another rookie question here-

Last week at Katie's vet appointment, the Dr recommended I start her on Target training. I've read and seen enough videos on how to do it but what I'm concerned about is if I'm moving too fast with her.

Should I only be concentrating on socialization for the moment?

I understand the uses of target training her, I just didn't get to ask more about the time frame.

Thank you all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We're happy if Casper's poop hits the newspaper, a bullseye is not essential
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-04-2017), MacawMomma (07-04-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-04-2017), Quakerella (07-04-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Your question, whether 'now' is the best time to introduce Katie to target training, may render various responses from various folks. In my opinion, as long as you're not experiencing major behavioral problems with her, holding off until later shouldn't be an issue.

As you know, target training is a matter of commanding an animal's behaviors by inciting its anticipation of rewards. It can indeed be very effective conditioning. On the chance that your question is not as much when to begin target training exercises with Katie, but instead it's more a question of whether or not to do so at all, I'll just say that it really comes down to a matter of your personal preferences, i.e., what you want/expect from your bird.

While I admire the results of target training in some cases, I personally view it as creating more of a robotic pet than a free spirit. Therefore, I have not used it to condition my own birds. So that's my response to the question of 'whether' to employ it. As for 'when' to do so... again, if there are no problem behaviors requiring immediate intervention, I don't think waiting should be an issue.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-04-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-04-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), MacawMomma (07-05-2017), Quakerella (07-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I agree with Tony, if there are no behaviour issues I don't think any harm will be caused, but I wouldn't push her too hard or expect too much right now. She seems to be on the right track with adjusting to her new family.

It is not one of my priorities with my birds. Trust always comes first.

I swear my quakers have a competition to see who can get it the farthest.

7. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-04-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-04-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), MacawMomma (07-05-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I have never used target training. A nutriberry does wonders if I want them back in their cage and that's pretty much all I require from them. My Barrabands will go back on command without a treat.
    It probably depends on what behaviour you want from Katie, as to whether you begin target training.

9. The following 4 users like this post:

Lady (07-06-2017), MacawMomma (07-05-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-05-2017), Quakerella (07-05-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I have done some target training with Rosie. Mostly when she seems bored. I don't have a clicker, I just make what I think sounds like a click using my mouth. Rosie liked it, but we really just did the get the toy and then I would give her a piece of cashew and kisses.

My main issue and the reason I don't do it very often is the dogs caught on. As soon as the here the click noise they come running and sit near me on the floor while Rosie is on her recliner. So once Rosie performed as "task" I would have to give Rosie and both dogs cashew pieces.
    Rosie & Kendra

11. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-05-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-05-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), MacawMomma (07-05-2017), Quakerella (07-05-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    Your question, whether 'now' is the best time to introduce Katie to target training, may render various responses from various folks. In my opinion, as long as you're not experiencing major behavioral problems with her, holding off until later shouldn't be an issue.

As you know, target training is a matter of commanding an animal's behaviors by inciting its anticipation of rewards. It can indeed be very effective conditioning. On the chance that your question is not as much when to begin target training exercises with Katie, but instead it's more a question of whether or not to do so at all, I'll just say that it really comes down to a matter of your personal preferences, i.e., what you want/expect from your bird.

While I admire the results of target training in some cases, I personally view it as creating more of a robotic pet than a free spirit. Therefore, I have not used it to condition my own birds. So that's my response to the question of 'whether' to employ it. As for 'when' to do so... again, if there are no problem behaviors requiring immediate intervention, I don't think waiting should be an issue.
    Thank you so much for your insight Tony!

I have similar views about Target Training, I don't want a show parrot. I'd rather just have a well adjusted happy bird!

I'm going to call the vet and as specific reasons about why he is recommending it. I know he mentioned free flying so it might be related to that. I can see how that would be a useful.

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-05-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-05-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-05-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    I agree with Tony, if there are no behaviour issues I don't think any harm will be caused, but I wouldn't push her too hard or expect too much right now. She seems to be on the right track with adjusting to her new family.

It is not one of my priorities with my birds. Trust always comes first.

I swear my quakers have a competition to see who can get it the farthest.
    Agree 100%- her trust is my priority

Your quakers are smart- they sound like big loves

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-05-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-05-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    I have never used target training. A nutriberry does wonders if I want them back in their cage and that's pretty much all I require from them. My Barrabands will go back on command without a treat.
    It probably depends on what behaviour you want from Katie, as to whether you begin target training.
    The vet was recommending it for more specific commands I believe. My Katie is really good with her commands.

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-05-2017), Lady (07-06-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    I have done some target training with Rosie. Mostly when she seems bored. I don't have a clicker, I just make what I think sounds like a click using my mouth. Rosie liked it, but we really just did the get the toy and then I would give her a piece of cashew and kisses.

My main issue and the reason I don't do it very often is the dogs caught on. As soon as the here the click noise they come running and sit near me on the floor while Rosie is on her recliner. So once Rosie performed as "task" I would have to give Rosie and both dogs cashew pieces.
    That is so cute!

One reason I think I would use it is to get the kids involved. I heard only to practice it a few minutes so she wouldn't get stressed.

What kind of things would Rosie do for her training?

19. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-05-2017)