User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet safe cookware

Pet safe cookware

Hi there,
    New to the forum. We've always had birds but have either been outside or far from the kitchen. Will be finally getting an alex in October. My question is if someone could recommend pet safe cookware. He won't be in the kitchen but close. Any suggestions would be great. We are in Melbourne Australia. Tia

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-03-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-03-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to Precisely Parrots! I use stainless steel pots and pans. This is probably the safest. Two of my frying pans have a form of ceramic as the lining. The concern is not to use anything with Teflon. Although it is supposed to be safe at lower temps, too many times you read about pans being overheated and birds dying due to the release of fumes. There is also some question about self-cleaning ovens.
    Please feel free to ask questions. I am sure others will be along that can give you more advice on safe cookware.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (07-06-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-03-2017), Quakerella (07-04-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Hi Tia and welcome to the forum.

Any cookware with nonstick coating should not be used. We use stainless steel pots and pans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-03-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-03-2017), Quakerella (07-04-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Greetings, Tia. Welcome to our community.

I agree that to ensure as much safety as possible, any cookware with non-stick surfacing should be avoided. The real danger is from a substance that's the basic element in Teflon coatings known as Polytetrafluoroethylene (or PTFE). There are various non-stick coatings available whose manufacturers claim to be 100% ceramic or otherwise Teflon-free. But in my view to accept such claims and trust the products for use around feathered companions would be to merely rely upon marketing assertions.

Coatings containing PTFE are prone to outgas when superheated. Once that occurs it may well prove fatal for any pet birds, even if they are several rooms away from the source. I've encountered more than one report of PTFE outgassing that resulted in death for birds who were enclosed in rooms non-adjacent to the source of the superheated cookware, and even with the room door shut tightly. In my opinion, it's something not worth leaving to chance.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-03-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), Quakerella (07-04-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Helpful information on cookware here http://www.ewg.org/research/canaries...-safe-cookware
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-03-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-03-2017), Quakerella (07-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Only use stainless steel here as well.

When I was doing a little overthinking(as I sometimes do), I really believe in the long run it is cheaper to buy a good set of stainless steel. I have had my set of pots and pans for almost 20 years and they are still like new. Believe me they have been burnt a few times, but they clean up great. I think if I was to have had a cheaper set of pans I would have to replace them every few years. Even if you buy one really good one every few months, I think it would pay off in the end.

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-04-2017), kendrafitz (07-07-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), plax (07-04-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Cast iron skillets and marmites/casserole dishes are great. Do you have LeCreuset pans in the US?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Tia,

I have cast iron for frying and stainless steel pots for everything else. Congratulations on your new family member, looking forward to hearing all about him/her!!

15. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-07-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    On a side note, I'm thinking we may have interpreted a bit incorrectly when referring to the OP as "Tia". Why so? Simply because "Tia" is not only a first name... it's as well short for "Thanks in advance"
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-07-2017), Lady (07-08-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Cast iron skillets and marmites/casserole dishes are great. Do you have LeCreuset pans in the US?
    I would love to have some LeCreuset cookware, but it is really expensive here. I have gotten into using more casserole dishes. Easier for clean-up when it's all in one dish

19. The following user likes this post:

Lady (07-08-2017)