User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 12 year old son and Katie

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post

Reminds me of Rosie. She runs at the kids, lunging and actually laughing while yelling OWWW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The saying OWWW while she's chasing them part always cracks me up
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), kendrafitz (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

My 12 year old son and Katie

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    Ha!! Rosie has a warped sense of humor! She fits right in with my family, all a little goofy!

Last edited by kendrafitz; 07-02-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-02-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    My biggest bit of advice for him and body language: Watch for the "Mohawk". When the feathers just on the top of the head go up. That's I'm really annoyed! But the whole head fluff is Happiness!
    Except instead of the Mohawk, when Salsa's annoyed he usually fluffs up his entire head covering of feathers then pulls them all down about halfway as he's lunging forth. So I think it can vary a bit from bird to bird... even GW to GW.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), kendrafitz (07-02-2017), MacawMomma (07-02-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Great progress! Your son is braver than I am....those big beaks scare me...lol.

8. The following 4 users like this post:

kendrafitz (07-02-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), MacawMomma (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by MacawMomma View Post
    Love the whole head fluff!!

So sweet!!

Rosie & Kendra

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-02-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), MacawMomma (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    I would love to see that in action!! Rosie sounds like quite a character!!

Has she ever been handled by kids?

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-03-2017)

Parrots

I would love to see that in action!! Rosie sounds like quite a character!!

Has she ever been handled by kids?

Rosie is a ornery, loud, demanding, loving, character for sure. She is technically my daughters. However she is really my girl. I have a 12 and 15 year old that don't handle her except for a taxi ride to me or to her tree here and there.

Mostly bc at a young age Rosie found it extremely entertaining when she would pinch and the kids yelled ouch! Thus her running at the kids, lunging, yelling OWW, all the while laughing her head off.

Rosie & Kendra

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-03-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-03-2017), MacawMomma (07-03-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-03-2017)

Parrots

Rosie is a ornery, loud, demanding, loving, character for sure. She is technically my daughters. However she is really my girl. I have a 12 and 15 year old that don't handle her except for a taxi ride to me or to her tree here and there.

Mostly bc at a young age Rosie found it extremely entertaining when she would pinch and the kids yelled ouch! Thus her running at the kids, lunging, yelling OWW, all the while laughing her head off.

I'm still laughing picturing this!! Love her personality!

My Katie is starting to chase my cats, she's been close and has no interest in hurting them just chases them

16. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-03-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    I'm still laughing picturing this!! Love her personality!

My Katie is starting to chase my cats, she's been close and has no interest in hurting them just chases them
    Celia, please do NOT allow Katie physical access to your cats. Cats are natural predators and thus may scratch or bite a bird - even a large one like Katie. It might be during playful activities or it might be a defensive maneuver if Katie were to lunge at or otherwise surprises one of your cats. The mouths and claws of cats contain a bacteria that's lethal for birds called Pasteurella. A mere scratch from a cat's claw can infect a bird with this pathogen. The bird may then suffer a very painful and rapid death. The risk is simply not worth taking.

Please see our policy statement on pet bird safety at: Bird Safety: Unnecessary Risks (as depicted in posts, avatars, signatures, albums)

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-03-2017), Lady (07-06-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by plax View Post
    Celia, please do NOT allow Katie physical access to your cats. Cats are natural predators and thus may scratch or bite a bird - even a large one like Katie. It might be during playful activities or it might be a defensive maneuver if Katie were to lunge at or otherwise surprises one of your cats. The mouths and claws of cats contain a bacteria that's lethal for birds called Pasteurella. A mere scratch from a cat's claw can infect a bird with this pathogen. The bird may then suffer a very painful and rapid death. The risk is simply not worth taking.

Please see our policy statement on pet bird safety at: Bird Safety: Unnecessary Risks (as depicted in posts, avatars, signatures, albums)
    I'm sorry, didn't mean to worry you! I don't keep the cats in any area with Katie. I completely agree with the dangers of having either of them hurt.

My story was an isolated incident that scared the poor cat and amused my Katie.

Definitely plan on not letting it occur again

Thank you so much for all your advice, it's been so invaluable ❤️

20. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-03-2017), kendrafitz (07-03-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), plax (07-03-2017)