User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 12 year old son and Katie

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw

My 12 year old son and Katie

Huge milestone for this pair yesterday!

My son of all the kids has been the one to spend the most time with Katie from the beginning. He reads to her, dances, plays ball and gives her treats. She's always been receptive to his company whereas she lunges at the other kids hahaha

Last week she put her foot up to step up on him and he put his arm out without asking me. Of course you can imagine what happened next...she bit him. I think she regretted her choice of perch lol

I was so proud of him, he stayed completely still and didn't respond at all. She's got great tension so didn't really hurt him. So I figured we'd have to give it at least a few weeks or months before he could handle her.

These last days she lets him touch her head through the bars and continued to lift her foot up for him.

Finally yesterday I had my son wear a thick jacket and try again. Success!!!! She was so happy to be perched on his arm and walked up to his shoulder!! He's through the moon!!

I'm still taking it baby steps and being cautious but it's so wonderful to see her developing a relationship with him.

He's definitely a bird lover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-02-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), kendrafitz (07-02-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), lbvstudios (08-19-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    That is AWESOME!!!

Good for your son for having the courage to try again. He is a brave boy and it really paid off!!

Rosie & Kendra

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), MacawMomma (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-02-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    That's some outstanding progress, Celia! Obviously Katie senses something special about your son. I'm guessing the initial bite may have been her way of setting a tentative boundary... as if to say: "Please understand that I'M the one in control of this situation!" Declaring such a control position likely made her feel more secure while interacting with him from that point forward. But be mindful that she may continue to do the controlled-biting thing on occasion in order to refresh her declaration.

When a large macaw pinches/squeezes without breaking skin and/or crushing bone, it's because there is no intention to do us harm. They are very compassionate and loving birds. However, when they become frightened they go into defense/self-preservation mode and all bets are off.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), kendrafitz (07-02-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), MacawMomma (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Fantastic, our son is much larger and 43 years old but won't go near Casper who loves to taunt him by making sudden lunges across the floor at Neil's feet.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), kendrafitz (07-02-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), MacawMomma (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    That's some outstanding progress, Celia! Obviously Katie senses something special about your son. I'm guessing the initial bite may have been her way of setting a tentative boundary... as if to say: "Please understand that I'M the one in control of this situation!" Declaring such a control position likely made her feel more secure while interacting with him from that point forward. But be mindful that she may continue to do the controlled-biting thing on occasion in order to refresh her declaration.

When a large macaw pinches/squeezes without breaking skin and/or crushing bone, it's because there is no intention to do us harm. They are very compassionate and loving birds. However, when they become frightened they go into defense/self-preservation mode and all bets are off.
    This is so true!!!

Today she bit him with a lot more pressure but didn't break skin. She's been following him and trying to step up for him ever since

I told him to take it slow, he's not bothered by the bite and continues to give her his time and attention. I'm so proud of him

I gave him a few tips on how to watch for her body language, she's very predictable on when she's going to bite.

I read your response to him and he felt great that she's not trying to hurt him, just communicating

Progress!

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), kendrafitz (07-02-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Fantastic, our son is much larger and 43 years old but won't go near Casper who loves to taunt him by making sudden lunges across the floor at Neil's feet.
    Hahaha!! What is it with parrots attacking feet? I know many that do this! It's their nemesis

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-03-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    That is AWESOME!!!

Good for your son for having the courage to try again. He is a brave boy and it really paid off!!

I don't think I could've at his age!!

14. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Reminds me of Rosie. She runs at the kids, lunging and actually laughing while yelling OWWW!

Rosie & Kendra

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-03-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-02-2017)

Parrots

My biggest bit of advice for him and body language: Watch for the "Mohawk". When the feathers just on the top of the head go up. That's I'm really annoyed! But the whole head fluff is Happiness!

Rosie & Kendra

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), Lady (07-06-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    My biggest bit of advice for him and body language: Watch for the "Mohawk". When the feathers just on the top of the head go up. That's I'm really annoyed! But the whole head fluff is Happiness!

Love the whole head fluff!!

20. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), kendrafitz (07-02-2017), Lady (07-06-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-02-2017)