User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So This Happened Yesterday...

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

So This Happened Yesterday...

We have friends that are being given 8 week old silkie and americanaus chickens. 4 in total, two of each. Since they are building a coop and fenced in area they thought they might like 4 more. The problem is they have large dogs and don't want the birds until they are old enough to go in the coop. But obviously it is better for them to be raised around kids and be handled and socialized.

Well, I LOVE babies, all babies. So I couldn't help myself. Jef was away, so there was no one to disagree and I thought, why not? It is only a short commitment and a great experience for both my daughter and I.

So my daughter called around until she found baby chickens that we could pick up yesterday. So we hopped in the Jeep and met our new summer visitors. They are 4 Speckled Sussex Chicks named, Peanut, Sammy the Savage, Ellie It and Snooki.

I had no idea when we were on our way that they were as young as they are. They were 3 days old yesterday.

When I was told their age I thought, uh oh, hand feeding - not fun. But apparently chickens are very different from parrots. They start eating and drinking on their own right away.

So it has been one day and all seems to be well so far. They are snugly and sweet. But very fast, shockingly so for me, who has a parrot that basically waddles when she runs. They sleep most of the day under their heat lamp in Rosie's abandoned crate which has been chick proofed and put in my jacuzzi tub that usually houses Rosie's preshower java tree. We have a corralled little play area for them where we can sit and play with them.

Rosie has been surprisingly fine with the new development. I brought her near the crate yesterday and explained who they were and how long they will be here. No complaints from the Queen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 06-29-2017 at 09:42 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-30-2017), Dragonlady2 (06-29-2017), Mare (09-03-2017), mdg1109 (10-14-2017), Quakerella (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Last edited by kendrafitz; 06-29-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-29-2017), Mare (09-03-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Cool! They're cute little fluff bumps. I notice that each one still boasts the shape of the egg it came from
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-30-2017), Dragonlady2 (06-29-2017), kendrafitz (06-30-2017), Mare (09-03-2017), Quakerella (07-02-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Wow...they are fast. Good luck catching them if they get out

8. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (06-30-2017), Mare (09-03-2017), Quakerella (07-02-2017)

Parrots

That's funny Tony, you're right. Peanut, the smallest one actually sleeps with her head down and her tush up in the air. I wonder if that's how she was in her egg?

Helena - crazy, isn't it? Especially since yesterday they could barely stand without falling over. They are going to be little road runners.

Rosie & Kendra

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-30-2017), Lady (07-02-2017), Mare (09-03-2017), Quakerella (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    From what I have seen most animals and birds are tolerant of other species' babies... unless they are part of the food chain. Seem to realise they are just kids at play.
    I hope it doesn't get Rosie 'all maternal' though
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-01-2017), kendrafitz (06-30-2017), Mare (09-03-2017), Quakerella (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    From what I have seen most animals and birds are tolerant of other species' babies... unless they are part of the food chain. Seem to realise they are just kids at play.
    I hope it doesn't get Rosie 'all maternal' though
    So far so good. I am hoping she isn't sexually mature yet. Otherwise we may be in trouble.

Rosie & Kendra

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-30-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-01-2017), Mare (09-03-2017), Quakerella (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Yesterday was interesting with Rosie. She was quiet when I was with the chicks. I decided to lie down in their play area and they all came running over to peck and then snuggle under my neck.

Once I put them back in their crate and washed up/changed I got Rosie. I am guessing she was a bit jealous because when I sat on the bed with her play setup she ignored it. Instead she sat on my chest and stayed there for over an hour. Very unusual for my busy girl. I gave her lots of kisses and told her she was my love. So hopefully she felt better about it.

Rosie & Kendra

16. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-01-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-01-2017), Lady (07-02-2017), Mare (09-03-2017), plax (07-01-2017), Quakerella (07-02-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I wonder what she thinks of the chicks, they are very cute!

Parrots

Alice she is slightly interested in them. Although today my mom came by with a friend to see them and didn't pay much attention to Rosie. She was officially annoyed and let us all know it.

They are really cute and getting sweeter every day. I lay in their play area and when they get sleepy they have been coming over to me and snuggling under my chin. All four fit. They also all fit in my hand when they all pile up.

Rosie & Kendra

19. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), Lady (07-02-2017), Mare (09-03-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-02-2017), Quakerella (07-09-2017)