User Tag List

Thread: Canada's new national bird

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.

Canada's new national bird

Cute and intelligent, it was a surprise winner
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38008160
    ruffling some people's feathers
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-17-2016), Lady (11-20-2016), Mare (11-17-2016)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    So cute! Plus, it sounds like they don't migrate to other countries.

We get Canadian geese here and I really don't like them. They are a pain and make a big mess. Also fairly aggressive. Lots of stories of people feeding them in parks and when the food runs out the people get chomped. In fact there are businesses of people with dogs that will chase the geese of properties for a fee. While I'm sure they have lots of positive attributes, I find them a nuisance.
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Same thing here with the Canada Geese, they hang around in parks in gangs with the swans, mugging small children of their bread scraps.
    Not a good ambassador so probably a good thing that it wasn't chosen.
    The robin was recently chosen as the UK's national bird, great for chrissy card printers. We have them visit our garden, singing their slightly mournful song. I think they are different to american robins.

Robin by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Same thing here with the Canada Geese, they hang around in parks in gangs with the swans, mugging small children of their bread scraps.
    Not a good ambassador so probably a good thing that it wasn't chosen.
    The robin was recently chosen as the UK's national bird, great for chrissy card printers. We have them visit our garden, singing their slightly mournful song. I think they are different to american robins.

Robin by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    Agreed.

The UK'S robin is much more delicate looking than the robin we have in NJ. (But then we NJians are a tough bunch. Not exactly known for being delicate) Lol They must be so nice to see in your yard. We have robin red breasts. Which are cute, we get them in our yard bc they love our holly berries. Their bellies are very round and look like the swallowed a mini bowling ball.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 11-17-2016 at 02:10 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-17-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Interesting. Of all 5 finalists, the only one I didn't know about was the grey jay. I have to agree about the Canada geese, people put out plastic coyotes to deter them from nesting. I love the snowy owl, huge majestic creatures, but I am partial to chickadees. We always had scads of them in the yard.

8. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (11-17-2016)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I have never heard of the Grey Jay. Love the Blue Jay, but very aggressive and territorial. I agree about the geese, we have hundreds of them around here, and they can be very annoying.
    These pictures were taken on my front porch this summer. Trying to get a picture of the deer, bear and fox but haven't seen them for a couple of weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porch1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	4704 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porch2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	4705

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-17-2016), kendrafitz (11-17-2016), Lady (11-20-2016), Mare (11-17-2016)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    The grey jay! What a cute little bird this is! I've seen Canadian geese cruising through, landing in ponds and always thought them such a beautiful majestic bird. I've obviously had no close encounters!

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-18-2016), Lady (11-20-2016)