User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adopted by a Catalina Macaw

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw

Adopted by a Catalina Macaw

Yes, you read that right! We were the ones adopted!

Hi, I'm a new Macaw mom of a 23 year-old Catalina Macaw and wanted to just share our story <3

About 3 months ago, my husband got the itch for an avian companion. He was relentless too. He's had a few parrots before, the last being a Cockatoo so he's a huge bird lover. Because of both our work schedules he hadn't brought up till now since now I've been working from home. Anyways, I feel like the best thing to do when he gets these "ideas" is to give it time and humor him.

So we found ourselves at our local bird store/avian rescue. They have a tons of different parrots but he found himself drawn to the Macaws!! I nearly had a heart attack looking at those beaks! We would visit 2-3 times a week and he was drawn to a humongous Scarlet Macaw named Max. He was an older bird with serious heart issues but a total sweetheart. While hubby was at work I went to visit Max to try to bond with him. As I was walking towards his cage, a Catalina Macaw that was hanging on the cage by her beak caught my eye. I thought it was humorous how she was hanging. One of my favorite things about going to the Avain Rescue is the fact that I can spend time and talk to all the birds, especially the ones that have been there years. So anyways, I stop and chat with this funny bird and after a bit she moves back to her perch and starts to lift one foot. I thought she was waving!! So I would say Hello and wave back haha!

Luckily one of the volunteers came by just at that moment and asked if I wanted to pull this Macaw, Katie out. I had to say yes, how would you say no to that? She very easily pulled Katie out and and Katie looked at me and again reached her foot out to me. As she stepped on to me, I think my heart melted!!! She then looks at me and comes closer towards my chest and nuzzled me! That was it ladies and gentlemen, that was it! I was able to scratch her head, give her kisses, and get her to step up and down.

I texted my husband right after- So we are adopting this Macaw Katie, and that's what's happening.

Haha

He went in the next day without me, and even though it wasn't as instant- she did trust him and was happy to step up for him.

Such a sad story on her being surrendered, her owner had serious health problems and had to surrender all her birds. The great thing is I have been able to contact her by email for detailed info on Katie.

We brought her home last week and she has been adjusting so well. We have 4 kids so it's quite a busy household. She doesn't want the kids to touch her but she loves when they talk, sing, dance, and play ball with her.

I really feel blessed to have been adopted by this sweetheart <3
    Attachments Attachments IMG_0171.jpg  

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-30-2017), Dragonlady2 (06-29-2017), kendrafitz (06-29-2017), Lady (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (06-29-2017)

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    oooooo what a cute story i got my blue and gold cause me and the hubby were joking about possibly having a bird then i found lucky on craigs list we drove all the way to la to see him and then brought him home

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-30-2017), Dragonlady2 (06-29-2017), Lady (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (06-29-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Welcome to Precisely Parrots, Celia! And a grand congratulations on adopting Katie!! She sounds like a real sweetheart and she appears to have taken nicely to your arm for use as an adjustable perch . Thank you so much for adopting a great Macaw in need of a loving home
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-30-2017), Dragonlady2 (06-29-2017), Lady (07-02-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum Celia! Katie is beautiful. It's wonderful that you adopted an older bird. There are so many that need homes. We look forward to hearing more about Katie and how she is adjusting. Exciting times ahead for Katie and your family

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-30-2017), Lady (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (06-29-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Welcome to the forum. What an awesome story and a beautiful pic. You both look so happy!!!

I can say from my experience there is nothing like being the chosen one of a big Mac. Enjoy every moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-30-2017), Dragonlady2 (06-29-2017), Lady (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (06-30-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by luckyandjenn View Post
    oooooo what a cute story i got my blue and gold cause me and the hubby were joking about possibly having a bird then i found lucky on craigs list we drove all the way to la to see him and then brought him home

Awwwwww!!! So your Lucky adopted you as well!!! So sweet!!! I love B&G Macaws!!!

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-30-2017), PlaxMacaws (06-30-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    Welcome to Precisely Parrots, Celia! And a grand congratulations on adopting Katie!! She sounds like a real sweetheart and she appears to have taken nicely to your arm for use as an adjustable perch . Thank you so much for adopting a great Macaw in need of a loving home
    Thank you so much for the warm welcome!!! Goodness your Macaw is gorgeous!!! You have a variety of macaws- that is so amazing!!!

She loves to perch on me!! More specifically on my shoulder so she can give me kisses- I'm head over heels with this girl!

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-30-2017), Lady (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (06-30-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Celia! Katie is beautiful. It's wonderful that you adopted an older bird. There are so many that need homes. We look forward to hearing more about Katie and how she is adjusting. Exciting times ahead for Katie and your family

Thank you so much!!! We always knew we wanted an older rescue bird, it's amazing to give them a loving home!!

I will for sure post updates!! This message board is so welcoming!!

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-30-2017), Lady (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (06-30-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    Welcome to the forum. What an awesome story and a beautiful pic. You both look so happy!!!

I can say from my experience there is nothing like being the chosen one of a big Mac. Enjoy every moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you!!! Your GW is just gorgeous!!!

18. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-30-2017), kendrafitz (06-30-2017), Lady (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (06-30-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Welcome Celia and Katie, pull up a perch and make yourselves comfortable here. It is a lovely picture and a great way to introduce yourselves to us.
    So wonderful that you have taken on the guardianship of such a lovely lady (that goes for both of you )
    Casper says
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hello.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	4954
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

20. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-30-2017), Lady (07-02-2017), plax (06-30-2017)