User Tag List

Thread: aviary

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure

aviary

so i have a friend that is willing to make me a super nice bird safe avairy for the boys i need some infor on safe materils and widths and lenghts he nows how to build a house from thew ground up he only needs measurements and what not so if any of you lovely people have some instght that would be awesome price dosent matter yo much as i want the best for them

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hmm, don't know much about aviaries, especially those able to withstand the random munching of macaw beaks. Stainless steel mesh would be good as quite safe and non-toxic, also will last for ever if good quality 316 grade. As for the frame, be careful of woods that have been treated with chemicals. Woods that haven't been treated will not last very long. Is aluminium OK for parrots?
    How about: get an airstream trailer, rip out the contents and side walls, replace sidewalls with stainless mesh. Lottery win needed
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    ha ha ha thats all good info esp the airstreem one lol i think he said i think we were tinking of using bird safe pipe like the big meatel ones ill have to try google too

4. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-30-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Avoid galvanized or zinc-plated materials whenever possible. When such materials are used, they should be scrubbed with a wire brush using vinegar (acetic acid) or a baking soda solution prior to being accessible to one's birds. There is a process known as "weathering" of galvanized wire mesh materials that involves leaving them outdoors for up to a year with a goal of curtailing zinc levels. The effectiveness of scrubbing and weathering are both controversial. Especially the latter. For this reason, stainless steel is always the safest bet. Unfortunately it's usually quite expensive
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-30-2017), Lady (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    How suitable is plastic coated wire mesh?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom