User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just how bad is the dust?

Parrots

3 Parakeets (Blu, Blueberry and Dimo)

Just how bad is the dust?

I'm thinking of getting a tiel in the future but the dust gives me pause.

How bad is it? How much does one tiel produce in a day?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I haven't had a tiel. Given their size, the dust is probably manageable. Hopefully, someone will come along with some experience with them.

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (06-23-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I also never had a tiel either but have read that the dust can be managed. With a quick internet search here is one of many articles that can give you more information on the subject.

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww59e.htm

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-23-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I currently have cockatiels and they do produce a fair amount of dust, more than my IRN's and quakers. It is manageable though. They do love to be misted which helps, and cage cleaning and floor cleaning is required on a daily basis. I have to do this to keep my asthma in check. If I keep everything clean there is no problem at all. I love the cockatiels, they are so very social and loving.

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-23-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Even though Amazons do not produce any dust, just fluff and feather casing shrapnel we have a seven stage air filter in Casper's room. Mainly to protect his airways from any stuff we may forgetfully use in his area. When the automatic goes to max we have to work out why. A glass of whisky sets it off - its very sensitive.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-23-2017), kendrafitz (06-26-2017), Lady (06-24-2017), Quakerella (06-23-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Geez, is Casper still getting into your cabinet? I thought you put that stuff under lock and key?????

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-24-2017), Dragonlady2 (06-24-2017), plax (06-26-2017)

Parrots

Does a small bird create more dust than a human body exfoliating skin? If you have ever wondered why the furniture in your bedroom is always so dusty, its because human skin is constantly regenerating itself. Look at everything in a general view with a sense of proportion

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-24-2017), Lady (06-27-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Does a small bird create more dust than a human body exfoliating skin? If you have ever wondered why the furniture in your bedroom is always so dusty, its because human skin is constantly regenerating itself. Look at everything in a general view with a sense of proportion
    So, after reading this, I have gone dust crazy. I am dusting every surface in the bedroom, washing sheets, vacuuming etc,...thanks, I think.

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-26-2017), Lady (06-27-2017), Quakerella (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Haha glad to hear that your bedroom is all shiny-shiney for a day.

I'd still be interested to know whether humans or parrots make the most dust.

For those that may be wondering what Alice is on about, here is the pic I think she is referring to

The guardian of the bottles by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

17. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-26-2017), Lady (06-27-2017), plax (06-26-2017), Quakerella (07-02-2017)

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    I grew up with cocktails and never even noticed the dust!!

I think as long as you are relatively clean, you'll be ok!

They are such loving birds, I would get one in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-02-2017), Dragonlady2 (07-02-2017), PlaxMacaws (07-05-2017), Quakerella (07-02-2017)