User Tag List

Thread: feather breaking

feather breaking

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone else is having problems with Blue Headed Pionus's being extra neurotic hormonal right now causing excessive feather breaking? (not plucking them out, but breaking them bit by bit until just downy left).

My girl is 7 years old, we adopted her last year & with the life change, she had no hormonal behaviour at all.
    She is so obsessed with nesting that she mostly ignores her toys & is crazy demanding ( bring me here, put me there, no bring me here, i want this.. no, i want that). She's just a nut case.

Please tell me someone is having issues this year - i don't want this to actually be a serious issue!
    (weather region specific to Ontario, Canada).

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hello and welcome to the forum! So sorry to hear that your Pionus is breaking her feathers. There may be many reasons that your Pionus is breaking her feathers. Have you had her to the vet for a check up? What is her diet? You might place some preening toys in her cage to see if the behavior can be transferred onto something else. Is she molting right now?

Hi

She won't play with her MANY toys. Her diet is 2 different types of high quality pellets + veggies, some nuts, fruit & a a breeder suggested adding some seed.
    Waiting to hear back from other pionus owners if this is a hormonal trend this year before making her endure a vet checkup.
    She's not molting.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Wadawas,
    I too am sorry your bird is breaking her feathers, I have tried to do some quick research on the internet but haven't found any real answers to the question. I mostly found more questions about her situation. I wouldn't wait to long before seeking the help of your avian vet as it would be best to put a stop to it as soon as possible. Maybe start by making a phone call and voice your concerns to see what they may be able to tell you over the phone before having to bring her in to see them.

Have you changed anything recently, perhaps where her cage is located? Introduced a new family member or did someone leave? There are so very many possible things that could trigger her actions that I believe it would be wise to start eliminating the possibilities. If you can see the vet and find that she is in good health them it may be emotional.

I hope our more experienced members stop in soon and can help you better.

Please keep us informed on your progress in finding out what is going on with her.
    Last edited by Lady; 06-23-2017 at 12:55 AM.

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-22-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    If you do not already have her registered with an avian vet you should start looking at what is available near you so that if an emergency should ever occur you will be ready to act straight away. A yearly check up is a good idea anyway. Also, keep a weekly record of your bird's weight, it does tend to fluctuate a bit throughout the year but a sudden loss of say 10% of body weight might be an indication that there is a problem that might not otherwise be noticed.
    I hope all is well.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-22-2017), Lady (06-23-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi wadawas, I wish I could give some assistance, but I have never had this issue. I also believe a visit to the vet is your best choice, just to confirm it is nothing serious. Good luck and please keep us posted.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-23-2017), Dragonlady2 (06-23-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Friday is Casper's weigh-day. He made me laugh today because he decided to stand on one leg on the scales. Hoping it made him lighter
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-23-2017), Lady (06-24-2017), Quakerella (06-23-2017)

Nothing changed. No people change, cage change..maybe a bit fewer veggies during the day because i've been to busy to cook them for myself 3 times every day, but that's it.