User Tag List

Thread: Grass mat

Grass mat

I found a grass mat at Petco and PetSmart in the rabbit section. It says that it's made of bulrush grass. Does anybody know if this would be safe for my cockatiel and green-cheek conure? If not do you know where I can find a grass mat that is?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi and welcome to the forum! With regard to the Petco and Petsmart grass may, I am not sure about the safety of them. Someone else may come along and clarify this for you. There are many online parrot stores that sell the grass mats you are looking for. Feathered Addictions, Things for Wings are a couple to check out. There are many others if you do a google search.
    What are the names of your birds?

Hello. My cockatiel is named Apache. The green cheek is actually my daughter's and she named him Zippity.
    Thank you!

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-22-2017), Dragonlady2 (06-21-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Oh...I love the name Zippity!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi there Avely,

This is what wikipedia has to say about bulrush grass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulrush

And this is a list of the safe / unsafe items for a companion birds home: http://www.preciselyparrots.com/show...amp-Vegetables

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-22-2017)

Thank you

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-22-2017), Lady (06-22-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Please let us know how your birds get on with whichever type of grass you choose (with pictures because we love to see other birds)
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-22-2017), Lady (06-23-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi and welcome,

I don't have any current information on bulrushes, but will look into it. I would say a seagrass mat may be the way to go until you know for sure the other is safe.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-23-2017), Lady (06-24-2017)

Banned

Parrots

WillsGaxIJ
    Have you considered looking into seagrass mats as an alternative, and do you plan to share how your birds respond to the chosen grass type?