User Tag List

Thread: Parakeet owner thinking of going bigger.

Parrots

3 Parakeets (Blu, Blueberry and Dimo)

Parakeet owner thinking of going bigger.

I live in SW TX and next year will be buying a house in the PNW and will finally have room for a bigger bird.

Right now I own three male Parakeets:

Dimo: Got from a feedstore as a gift. Untamed but happy and loud. Mumbles "Pretty bird" at times.

Blu: Supposedly hand raised, but I don't think that's true. His parents were a set of Parakeets a family bought from a pet store and nature happened. His wiring is "off", if you catch my drift.

Blueberry: Blu's brother. Also wired wrong.

They have a big spacious cage where they fly, chirp, beep, hang upside down, etc. No more free flight after Blu ended up under a piece of furniture and it took me 24 hours to get him out of there. We tried clipping his wings and he kept trying to throw himself off things, so now the cage is best.

In the future I want to get something a little bigger and more interactive. All love watching my little guys, but I want to try something else, not sure what, though.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-21-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Perhaps you can find out about taking on a rescue bird, there are lots of mature birds out there who's owners for one reason or another can no longer give them the love they need. It sounds like you will be in an excellent position to give a welfare case the love and attention that their current owners are no longer able to give.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-21-2017), Lady (06-22-2017), Quakerella (06-23-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Perhaps you can find out about taking on a rescue bird, there are lots of mature birds out there who's owners for one reason or another can no longer give them the love they need. It sounds like you will be in an excellent position to give a welfare case the love and attention that their current owners are no longer able to give.
    I will really look into that when the time is right, thank you.

What should I look for in a bird from a rescue or a private rehome? Any red flags I should watch out for, besides the bird attacking me or showing extreme fear?

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-22-2017), Dragonlady2 (06-21-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum, Arztwolf! I second Casper's 2nd best friend about getting an older bird. If you look at getting one from a shelter, a good shelter will want you to fill out an application form. They may want to check to see if you have the space and time for another bird etc. If you are looking at a private rehome, I would go to the home to see how it is kept and how it interacts with the owner and yourself. Check to see what vet they use. Always quarantine a new bird to ensure it isn't hiding any illnesses. These are just some quick ideas.
    When you say a bigger bird, what do you have in mind? A conure, African grey, or Macaw?

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-22-2017), Lady (06-22-2017), Quakerella (06-23-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Arztwolf,

Welcome to P.P. Your flock sounds fun!

Thinking of getting a new family member is always tough and takes a lot of consideration, thought, money and lots of love. Are there any rescue centers that you might go and visit? The amount of birds who need a new lease on life is sadly almost endless. At a rescue you could spend time there and get a better feel for different species of birds that might interest you. One never really knows just which bird might want you! It's great that you are in no rush and can keep your options open and have a look around at what is available. I have never rescued or adopted a bird from a private home, I only know from what I've read so I hope your here from now till you get your new buddy. It sounds exciting. Keep us posted!

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-22-2017), Dragonlady2 (06-22-2017), Quakerella (06-23-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Arztwolf! I second Casper's 2nd best friend about getting an older bird. If you look at getting one from a shelter, a good shelter will want you to fill out an application form. They may want to check to see if you have the space and time for another bird etc. If you are looking at a private rehome, I would go to the home to see how it is kept and how it interacts with the owner and yourself. Check to see what vet they use. Always quarantine a new bird to ensure it isn't hiding any illnesses. These are just some quick ideas.
    When you say a bigger bird, what do you have in mind? A conure, African grey, or Macaw?
    I'm torn between Cockatiels, Rock Pebblers, Alexandrines, Indian Ring Necks and (maybe) Conures.

I want to at least meet one or more of each before I decided, but that will most likely have to wait till I move. Were I'm at right now (near San Antonio) its rare to see a parrot that isn't in a small glass box in a Pet Smart.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-22-2017), Quakerella (06-23-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Rock Pebbler is an interesting choice. What made you include that species?

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Rock Pebbler is an interesting choice. What made you include that species?
    They sound interesting to me. Not too big, some sources say they are relatively quiet and that they enjoy being with their people. I'm interested in a bird that wants to be with me.

Color and talking ability don't really matter to me, just to get that out of the way.

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (06-23-2017), Quakerella (06-23-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I have two Barraband parakeets (Superb). I believe they are similar to the rock pebblers. They both love to sit on my shoulders and watch me play games on my iPad. They are males and although they are supposed to be moderate talkers, both are excellent talkers. When they are out of their cages, they never get into trouble. They like to fly around and forage on the floor. They also have nice temperaments.

17. The following user likes this post:

Lady (06-23-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Artzwolf and welcome.

Nice to see you are taking your time and making an educated decision. Not an easy one though, there are so many beautiful birds. I do agree with all that has been said. Alice is right about the bird might want you, a lot of times you don't pick your new friend. When that little one flys to you and sits on your shoulder, kisses your cheek or nestles into your neck you will be hooked and the decision has been made.

Keep an open mind and let your heart or the birds heart make the choice. (obviously within your limitations and capabilities)

Also as Helena stated, quarantine the new little one. It is important and may save some heartache later.

19. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-23-2017), Lady (06-23-2017)