User Tag List

Thread: This breaks my heart... but my green wing needs a family.

Parrots

Green wing macaw

This breaks my heart... but my green wing needs a family.

I know the statistics. I know the stories. I love my bird dearly, which is why this is so hard.
    We've had Howdy since he was weaned. He is DNA sexed, and hatched June 2010. He was to be my forever companion, but life just doesn't always work out the way we intend.
    Our lives have become immensely complicated. We moved this past August, and will be moving again in August or September. My husband has become much busier with his job, and I'm traveling more for work. Additionally, we are both taking on graduate courses. All of this to basically say I've decided to search for a new home for Howdy because he just doesn't get any attention anymore. Most nights during the week we come home and go straight to bed. Just finding time to let him out of his cage daily has become very challenging. If there were a light at the end of the tunnel, I'd ride this out and keep him.

He eats fresh food daily, and roudybush pellets. He talks often, about 25 words and phrases, and he's not a screamer or plucker. He's loving and kind. He tells the dog "out" and "bad", and tries to steal food from his bowl. He laughs and mimics us sneezing and coughing.

Shipping is not an option. I must meet the person who will be a candidate for his new family, and so will Howdy. We are located in Houston, Tx.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I am so sorry to hear that you have to rehome Howdy. This must have been a hard decision for you. I hope you are able to find a good home for him. Another option might be a temporary or foster placement?

3. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-21-2017), Lady (06-22-2017), PlaxMacaws (06-21-2017), Quakerella (06-23-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Your situation is heartbreaking. As Helena suggested, is there anyone who may be able to keep Howdy on a temporary basis? Perhaps a friend who has birds? Or even one who doesn't? I have a GW who's about the same age as Howdy and whose character seems very similar to your description of his. The thought of ever having to re-home my guy, Salsa, conjures feelings of despair and devastation for me. And believe me, I have come close enough to investigate options due to concerns about my own health.

It's easy to tell that Howdy means a great deal to you and that you want what's best for him. I so hope you find an encouraging solution.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-21-2017), Dragonlady2 (06-21-2017), Lady (06-22-2017), Quakerella (06-23-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Whatever happens I hope you will keep us updated, I admire your courage to face up to the problems rather than burying your head in the sand until the problem is much worse. I hope you find a happy home for Howdy whether it be for a short time or permanent.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-21-2017), Lady (06-22-2017), plax (06-23-2017), Quakerella (06-23-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    This is so sad and extremely difficult, I too hope there is another solution but if you do have to part with your sweet Howdy I pray he will find the perfect home forever. Best of luck to you in your search.

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-22-2017), plax (06-23-2017), Quakerella (06-23-2017)