User Tag List

Thread: Platform perch

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

Platform perch

IDK, maybe it's me but I still plan on getting Lady a platform perch. She likes to spend a lot of time out on the play top area of her perch and I know her feet were made for gripping branches, food as well as grooming, but I figure I'll never know until I order one for her.

Anyone ever put one in their bird cage? What is your birds reaction? Do they still use it today?

I know they are good for birds that have special needs but variety is the spice of life so why not.

And thanks for your comments!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I am thinking of doing the same for my eclectus. I found that my Australian king's nails are quite reasonable now as she spends a lot of time on the floor, which is hardwood. However, I am worried about the poop factor. If he doesn't go to the edge to poop, it will be a buggar to clean off. He is on a fresh food diet and so consequently his poops are very runny.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (06-18-2017), Quakerella (06-19-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I think if I keep a daily watch for such things it would be worth it. I rinse Lady's perches that she soiled with GSE and water daily with a spray bottle and clean up with paper towels.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-18-2017), Quakerella (06-19-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Well Lady really enjoys her platform perch. She's had it for almost two months and is on it almost daily. I haven't seen any poo on it so it isn't a problem with a mess. Sometimes when I take her cover off she is on it, other times she gets on it shortly before bedtime but I have seen her just sitting on it and playing with one of her hanging toys. She has chewed it a bit but not enough to replace it so far.
    Glad I invested in it, I really think it's good that she can move to a flat surface if she wants to during my hours at work.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-14-2018), Quakerella (02-23-2018)