User Tag List

Thread: Hi Folks, it's camping season

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)

Hi Folks, it's camping season

I brought Nike in to get her wings and nails done. We're heading out camping for Memorial day and she had become fully flighted. I have to say I felt bad clipping her wings so I had them do just the outer primaries so she can still hop up on things. She was just getting used to the fact that she was more mobile, flying off her perch once a day. If she did that when I wasn't around I would have a heck of a time finding her as she has been real quiet once on the floor lately.. sometimes it seemed I had to wait for minutes until I would hear her making a noise. Her wings were really beautiful and it we weren't going out I would not have clipped them.

I have the work done at Bird Supplies of NH in Nashua NH. It's free if you spend $15 during the visit...not too difficult as I've been getting my food there.

She was talkative in the car all the way there but totally silent on the way home...I guess she was pissed.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

2. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-23-2017), Lady (05-25-2017), Quakerella (05-26-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I'm sure Nike will adjust to her wing clip once she is on the road. The trip may take her mind off it. I don't think I could clip my birds. They are so free when they are mobile.
    However, if I camped, I might have to consider it.
    Have a great weekend. I hope the weather cooperates for you.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-25-2017), Quakerella (05-26-2017)

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    She's over it. they did a good job, she still can leave her spot if she wants just cant gain altitude. Since it's not a radical clip we'll still need to be careful with her.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-25-2017), Lady (05-25-2017), Quakerella (05-26-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I'm looking forward to your camping trips with her. Does she get to hangout in her pack in the nearby trees? I've read we have to watch they don't get bit by mosquitoes as they can be harmful.
    Glad she's forgiven the clipping. I think it's a good precaution but as you said you will have to keep a good eye on her while out of the house.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-26-2017), Quakerella (05-26-2017)