User Tag List

Thread: Keeping our birds cool in the summer heat.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

Keeping our birds cool in the summer heat.

Hi Guys,
    Hope everyone is well. We've been dealing with some extreme temperature changes the last week or so here. So of course I thought I would search the forum for ideas on how we keep our birds comfortable in hot and humid climates. Of course misting them with a cool spray is always nice. Maybe an ice cube in the water would give some relief, but what about long term? Yes, keeping air circulating is a great idea, but when it's hot air it doesn't cool either of us down much.

I'm thinking more about the air conditioner.

I've always gone by how I feel, just like I did when my kids were babies.....if I'm cold, or hot then they probably are too. Do you feel that way? I can take the heat better than my hubby so I'm sure our birds are somewhat different in what they can handle. How do you decide what is best for your bird?

I've recently read that "Birds can tolerate extreme cold or hot weather if they are allowed to gradually adjust, or acclimate, to it". It was also a good reminder that birds don't have sweat glands to cool themselves down but instead they cool themselves by rapid breathing with their mouths open and they can hold their wings out slightly from their bodies.

That being said do you use an air conditioner in the same room with your bird?

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-20-2017), kendrafitz (05-22-2017), PlaxMacaws (05-21-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    We have had air conditioning for years until we moved to this home last year. Thank goodness we have lots of trees around the house to keep the temperature down. When we had air conditioning, we kept the temperature at 75 degrees. Just to keep the humidity down. I may have to do a little brainstorming for ideas to keep them cool. I could save their frozen fruit for later in the afternoon for starters. Great topic.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-20-2017), PlaxMacaws (05-21-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Most of my birds are in the aviary outdoors. We have large maple trees that provide shade during the summer, but let the sun through during the winter.

This is the time I have to be careful as they are breeding and this also raises their body temperature. Water dishes are filled 3 - 4 times per day, (they drink like crazy) and a luke warm mist seems to help, as well as frozen juice cubes with chunks of fruit in them (they love these by the way). They seem enjoy it if you use dark fruit chunks with a light fruit, I think they get curious about what is inside

I have not had any issues of overheating and the past couple of years have been quite hot. They are monitored constantly.

My indoor birds get moved downstairs to the rec room when it gets too hot. There is a difference of about 15 degrees from upstairs. They are used to the surroundings there because that is where we sit most of the time and bring them down with us.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-20-2017), PlaxMacaws (05-21-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Great ideas! Today it is a cool cloudy 63F, go figure. Yesterday you could hardly breathe in the house, it was in the 90's. Last night was very difficult until sometime after midnight, then it began to cool down thank heaven. We have some trees in our front and back yard which helps keep the house cooler. We also have some awnings but on the side of the house, nothing.
    We have used the air conditioner in the past but it always worries me so much. In the evenings as the temperature drops I would wake up chilly and grab a blanket for myself but sometimes not for Lady. In the morning when I didn't cover her with a heavier blanket I would be so afraid that I might of made her sick or worst! I started just turning it off and then would wake up sweating. I'm going to pick up a heavy duty timer just for the air conditioner.

I agree with the temperature difference from one floor to the other, I almost wanted to spend the night in the basement as it was the coolest place in the whole house outside of the freezer.

I think I'm going to try frozen fruit in an ice cube tray, maybe pulse it a bit to get some juice out then freeze. Thank you both for the tips.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-21-2017), PlaxMacaws (05-21-2017), Quakerella (05-20-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Maybe try a smoothie. You can blend together any ingredients they like, and some they don't. Freeze and give to them whenever. Very nutritious as well.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-21-2017), PlaxMacaws (05-21-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Sounds delicious! I'm sure she will enjoy it as much as I do. I will just have to remember which one is hers.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-21-2017), Quakerella (05-21-2017)

Thanks for sharing your idea Quakerella. I will give it a try.

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017), Quakerella (07-24-2017)

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    Maybe try a smoothie. You can blend together any ingredients they like, and some they don't. Freeze and give to them whenever. Very nutritious as well.
    They love smoothies!!

I also do ice cubes when she's outside, she loves that! Just make sure it's filtered water

I'm a fan of AC to help keep them (and us) comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-24-2017), Lady (08-13-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I'm a fan of AC to help keep them (and us) comfortable
    Just a quick note. An average healthy bird's body temperature is between 103 and 106 degrees.
    So what is hot to us may not really be as hot to them.

Just don't want it to be too cold for them

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-25-2017), Lady (08-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post

Just a quick note. An average healthy bird's body temperature is between 103 and 106 degrees.
    So what is hot to us may not really be as hot to them.

Just don't want it to be too cold for them
    Thanks for this information Quakerella. You surely are a bird lover.

20. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-09-2017), Lady (08-13-2017), Quakerella (08-09-2017)