User Tag List

Thread: Having Trouble being put to bed

Parrots

Kai ~ (Female) ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure

Unhappy Having Trouble being put to bed

Kai has a tad bit of trouble when going to bed. We put her to bed around 9-ish and we cover her cage with a white bed sheet. We are on a bedtime scheduled so its lights out at that time and my bedroom door is closed. But when she is being covered she starts squawking bloody hell and continues that for around 15 mins. Excuse my language. But this is not every night. Sometimes she does good and is put to bed with no fuss and sometimes the total opposite. Is there any way I could stop this?
    Kindest Regards,
    ThatsFowlPlay

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Some birds like total coverage and some don't. Try leaving a small opening so that she can look out. As well, I find that my birds need settling time before bedtime. I turn off the tv about half an hour before bed. I also reduce or dim lighting. By the time I cover them the rooms are in semi darkness and for the most part they are well on the way to settling for the night. I have had to add extra covering for a couple of windows due to the longer days.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-14-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (05-14-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I also think they need some time to wind down. I usually sit with Lady for at least half an hour before fully closing up her cover. We also sit in a darkened room and I usually play some very faint relaxing instrumental music. She is ready for bedtime on the highest perch next to a soft cuddly piece of fabric with her cage covered on all sides except the side facing me. I like to use a quilt to cover her cage on top of a bed sheet, it just makes her area darker. In the warmer days I use a dark blue sheet or sometimes just cover the top part of the cage and leave the bottom open so she can have circulation of air.

5. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (05-15-2017), Dragonlady2 (05-14-2017), Quakerella (05-14-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (05-14-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Have you had any luck with settling Kai for bed?

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-19-2017), Quakerella (05-17-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Have you had any luck with settling Kai for bed?
    yes she is much better when going to bed. Thank you guys so much for your advice!!
    Kindest Regards,
    ThatsFowlPlay

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-17-2017), Lady (05-19-2017), Quakerella (05-17-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Good to hear. It takes time to know what your bird likes and dislikes, but it sounds like you are doing a great job and will be a wonderful caregiver for Kai.

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-17-2017), Lady (05-19-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    Good to hear. It takes time to know what your bird likes and dislikes, but it sounds like you are doing a great job and will be a wonderful caregiver for Kai.
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm not a perfect parront and do make my own mistakes, but it's nice to know I'm doing things correctly.
    Kindest Regards,
    ThatsFowlPlay

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-18-2017), Lady (05-19-2017), Quakerella (05-18-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I'm not a perfect parront and do make my own mistakes, but it's nice to know I'm doing things correctly.
    Believe me we have all made mistakes, some big and some small. All questions are important and it is wonderful you are taking the time to ask.

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-18-2017), Lady (05-19-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (05-19-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Sometimes those mistakes can become a blessing! Not knowing something and not asking or researching can be worse than some mistakes.

17. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (05-22-2017), Quakerella (05-22-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (05-19-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Having Trouble being put to bed

I agree with the others. It could be Kai doesn't like being covered. Rosie sleeps in our dining room uncovered.

I also have a bit of a wind down time with my diva. Usually about 10 - 15 min before bed. I hold her while standing and cuddle/preen. Then with all of the lights off she goes in her cage. Then the lights in her room go on so I can give her fresh water. Once she has her water I drag a chair to the side of her cage and kiss her beak through the tops bars. Then I finally turn off the lights and head upstairs. It's all about routine I think. And like little kids, they do like a little snuggle before bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 05-22-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

19. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-22-2017), Lady (05-25-2017), Quakerella (05-22-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (05-26-2017)