User Tag List

Thread: Questions After Sudden Death of Parakeet

Questions After Sudden Death of Parakeet

Sorry if I am in the wrong place, i am new to this website and need some advice. I had a parakeet for 6 months and this morning he had a very sudden death. I was wondering how long should I wait before getting another bird and can I use the same cage? I also wanted to know if I should consider getting two birds because my first parakeet (Rio) always freaked out until I held him in front of a mirror. I am guessing that he was very lonely during the day while I was at School. Thank You!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your parakeet. Do you know the cause of death?
    I would thoroughly clean out the cage with a good disinfectant. Give yourself a few weeks to sort out what happened to try to prevent another unfortunate death. Just my opinion, if you are away a lot, I think parakeets do better with a buddy. You will have happier birds.
    Please feel free to ask any questions. We are here to help and share information.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-11-2017), PlaxMacaws (05-10-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your parakeet. I agree with the advice given you by Dragonlady2.

A couple of questions: 1) Did you happen to notice any peculiar/unusual behaviors from your bird just prior to its death? 2) Had there been any recent incidents involving overheated cookware or electrical devices in your home before it died?
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-11-2017), Lady (05-11-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Bailey,
    Welcome to P.P. I am also sorry to hear about the passing of your little Rio. Are you sure your ready for a new bird already? I also think that you would benefit from taking some time and think about what might of happened to him so that your future bird or birds don't meet the same fate. Being lonely could of had something do due with his passing but it is more likely there was something else. Have you thought about taking him to the vet to have him examined for a cause of death?
    If you do two birds will the cage you have now be large enough?

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-11-2017), PlaxMacaws (05-11-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Welcome Bailey, and so sorry to hear of the loss of your parakeet.
    All great advice above. I too would want to have an idea of what may have been the cause. Any type of scent, such as candles, air fresheners and cleaning products could also be a issue. Is it possible he/she may have eaten something? There are so many possibilities.

As Helena said, you would want to thoroughly clean and disinfect the cage before using again.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions, we will all try to help as much as possible.

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-11-2017), Lady (05-13-2017), PlaxMacaws (05-11-2017)

If you are mentally ready to get another bird, go for it. Also do follow the cleaning tips offered by other members. It might help too.

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-09-2017)