User Tag List

Thread: Hyacinth breeding question

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus

Hyacinth breeding question

I dont have Hys so am asking a question on behalf of a friend.She has a hormonal female and a proven male.She is considering pairing them up but although she is a fantastic ethical Canadian breeder...she is concerned the parents of Hys dont care for the young once they hatch.They would remain with the parents as per normal and then be pulled for handfeeding.Are the Hys any differant than breeding other macaws.I know about other macaws and assume they are the same.
    "Ivo"

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    I know that Hys are typically more temperamental about breeding than other macaws. And I'm aware that Hy pairs produce fewer chicks less frequently than other macaws. And I think it's rather widely known that Hy chicks are more fragile and vulnerable to illness than macaw chicks of other species. I'm unsure, though, about the typical quality and dependability of Hy parenting. Since I'm not a bird breeder, such information is beyond my field of knowledge. Hopefully another member is able to address your friend's concern. If not, you or your friend might try contacting Kashmir Csaky via Facebook. She's a long-time Hy breeder who is quite active there.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-06-2017), Lady (05-06-2017), Quakerella (05-07-2017)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    Thank you
    "Ivo"

Many a Hy breeder has had a near heart attack themselves when they go to check on the baby and see they are laying on their backs, thinking they are dead. Hy babies do that A LOT and scare the breeder something awful.

Keep in mind, and this is not just for the Hy's, but applies to all species, a lot of times, first time parents don't automatically take good care of their babies but have to 'learn' to do things right and you can lose a lot of babies so you must be prepared to pull them and feed them from there on. I think the hardest part is being able to recognize the first slight hints that something might be going downhill when you are not experienced.

People will always tell you to feed 10% of the body weight but evidently that does not apply to Macaws. In this aspect they are different but I am not a breeder and cannot guide you with that, I only learned that from another site that was all about Macaws, who had a lot of experienced people and breeders on there but unfortunately that site is basically dead now which is unfortunate because I learned so very much there.

Tony is right in directing you to Kashmir. She has a ton of real experience, raises the babies properly, i.e. socially and proper nutrition (I say that because there are so many so called 'breeders' out there that are in it for the $$$ only and don't spend the blood, sweat and tears let alone money on proper food for the babies to be raised properly) plus she is willing to help in any way she can.

Hy babies also have a high mortality rate. First hurdle is getting the baby out of the shell as a lot die in the shell. The second hurdle is getting the baby past the 3 month old mark without dying.

Another skill that a person needs is to recognize when that weaning 'window' comes around. For sure you don't want to force wean any baby but you need to recognize when the proper timing is in order for that baby to become independent and eating on it's own. Fine balancing act there also and with Hy's they do it much later that other species.

Raising Hy babies does take a lot of extra work so I hope your friend is not just thinking because she has the hormonal female and proven male that it will be a piece of cake. It won't be.

Contact Kashmir!

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-07-2017), Lady (05-07-2017), PlaxMacaws (05-07-2017), Quakerella (05-07-2017)

On Yahoo, Kashmir also has a Hyacinth Breeders group but I think the FB page is where most everyone is on. Anyway, someone had just posted needing help with feeding and I saw this response from Kashmir which is very informative.

Sam,
    This is going to the entire group. You're in good hands with Rick helping you. Knowing exactly how much to feed is difficult. I was underfeeding and afraid to fill crops too full. However, my mentor was an avian vet and he showed me how to recognize when the crop was not under filled or over filled. Getting enough food into them is important. The crop is a muscle and if it is not worked hard enough (under filled) it will not push the proper amount of food through the digestive system. If it is over filled then, like any muscle, it becomes painful and does not work as well. There is a Goldilocks zone. I was trying to think of people in your area who might be able to show you how to decide how much is too much and how much is too little. At three days old the food goes through them fast and if the chick is slightly over filled up can hold their heads up a little while and it will go down in a minute or two. Then you pile up tissue around them and rest their heads on the tissue so that they sleep upright for a little while.
    I am delighted and relieved that the chick is doing well, so you are doing something right. :-)

8. The following 2 users like this post:

PlaxMacaws (05-07-2017), Quakerella (05-07-2017)