User Tag List

Thread: Anyone ever use Iverlux for air sac mites?

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus

Anyone ever use Iverlux for air sac mites?

We have aTuraco that has been to the vet and is on meds for a possable fungal infection.This is a long term process that can also increase the likelyhood of air sac mites.Sonwevhave added treatment for air sac mites.The instructions on this product are confusing...if you have used it for a single bird adding to the water...one drop a day?The instructions say to use one drop in water a day for two days and continue for three weeks....seems like the instructions suggest two seperate things
    "Ivo"

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    It sounds like you are to put one drop into the water for two days in a row, wait for five days, then repeat for three more weeks.

I hope you can get rid of them.

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    I'm guessing Helena is correct. The instructions I'm seeing for Iverlux are as follows:

DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
    For individual birds, apply one drop of IVERLUX to the skin of the neck each day for five days.
    Alternatively, add ½ teaspoon, (2.5 ml), of IVERLUX to one quart, (32 ounces or 946 ml), of clean distilled water for small bird flocks (finches, canaries). For larger birds, (greys, mynahs), add one teaspoon, (5 ml), to one quart, (32 liquid ounces or 946 ml), of clean distilled drinking water for two consecutive days. Repeat for three weeks in a row.

Quote cited from: http://www.morningbirdproducts.com/product_iverlux.html
    But it looks like the "one drop" option is to be used when the stuff is applied to the skin of the neck each day for five days. Whereas the ½ teaspoon or one teaspoon dosages added to 32 ounces of drinking water for two consecutive days repeated for three weeks in a row is the other option. The latter option would entail doing the 'two consecutive day' water treatment again in exactly one week, then doing it yet again in another week - e.g., if you do it on Monday and Tuesday, you would do it again on the following Monday and Tuesday, and then once again on the next Monday and Tuesday.

My concern would be to confirm that Iverlux is suitable as a preventative treatment for air sac mites as opposed to a treatment for an active infestation. I would confirm that before using it.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    It is a treatment for an active infection.
    "Ivo"

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Cedardave View Post
    It is a treatment for an active infection.
    Okay. I took it from your OP that the fungal infection was the primary and that an ensuing secondary air sac mite infestation was merely probable. That's why I concluded that the treatment with Iverlux would be preventative.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I have no experience of the problem but found this article which may or may not help
    http://www.birdhealth.com.au/airsac-mite
    I noted that humidity control might help in prevention.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I have used Iverlux on one of my canaries. I tried both ways...direct application and in the water. Direct application worked better, however, it always returned. I went on a homeopathic forum who used ground neem tea leaves on the food and tried it with my canary....knock on wood, no signs of a repeat. It is notable that we lived in a drier climate before and moved to a more humid climate and that may also have had a positive effect.

Parrots

Well theres a long storey as how this came about...but the cause was not as a result of our care.She was a mouth breather when we got her...she was exposed to fresh,damp potting soil by the previous owner.The vet had her on antibiotics,but were posative its fungal and as a result the conditions in the air sacs are ideal for mites.She has made improvement with the antifungal,but I want her back to her previous perfect health.Not only for her well being,but she is the mate to her male.I have decided to go the water route so he doesnt contract them as well since as she begins to feel better they have began their mating ritual.I think I may add the neem leaves as well...opinions? Would that be to much?
    "Ivo"

Super Moderator

Parrots

I grind the neem tea leaves in a coffee grinder until it is as close to powder as possible. Then I add just a pinch sprinkled over the wet food....my canaries like broccoli, strawberries and kale. I did this for 8 weeks, while using the Iverlux, then stopped for 10 weeks. Because the mites can be chronic, I use this on the above schedule without the Iverlux. It has a bitter taste, that's why the strawberries. Wouldn't hurt to check with a vet.

Parrots

I have zero experience attempting to eradicate or prevent air sac mites. Has your avian vet offered any advice? The neem tea leaves sound to be an interesting approach.

11. The following user likes this post:

Lady (05-06-2017)