User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good mix for my GC?

Parrots

Kai ~ (Female) ~ Turquoise Green Cheek Conure

Is this a good mix for my GC?

Just found out that Kai is coming home next week. We are exuberant for her arrival. Hoping to see her this weekend, so I might be able to get some pictures.

Anyways back to the subject of matter. I got some info on what food Kai is weaned onto. Although I'm not sure about the feed as it is mixed with seeds and pellets. My Breeder gets it from a local bird store called 'Our Feathered Friends'. The store seems to know they're stuff as they too are breeders. Most of the associates too are bird owners themselves, so they seem trustworthy.

Once again I'm going off topic. But here are the ingredients of the bird mix; Safflower, canary grass seed, sunflower chips, dehydrated carrot, buckwheat, oat groats, hemp seed, pumpkin/squash seeds, dried peas, coconut, spanish peanuts, raisins, dried fruits, chili peppers, ZuPreem, pineapple, papaya, dehydrated corn.

http://www.ourfeatheredfriends.com/product/2153

I'm not sure if this is best and healthiest thing I can feed Kai. I'm thinking of switching her to Harrison's pellets. That also brings up another question mine. Would I be able to change her diet at such a young age or should I wait a few more months, then switch? How would I introduce the new pellets to her?

Kindest Regards,
    ThatsFowlPlay

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-29-2017), Lady (04-30-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Wow, next week already. You must be thrilled.

From reading your ingredients, they are all safe to eat. I am questioning the amount of fatty seeds, peanuts and coconut that are being fed on a regular basis. Personally I would make fresh fruits and veggies the staple with pellets readily available. Grain is great for them as well as eggs and pasta, and they love popcorn.

With Kai being so young, it should be easy to switch her to any new foods. Gradually introduce fresh fruits and veggies to her, you will quickly find out what she enjoys. Mix your new pellets in with the old food and every few days decrease the amount of the old food and increase the amount of the pellets. Doing this slowly will not cause any upset to her system. Keep an eye on her droppings to make sure there is no drastic change.

I imagine she will try to eat almost anything.

I am sure someone else will be along with some great ideas for you.

Quick addition - all my birds absolutely love whole grain cheerios
    Last edited by Quakerella; 04-29-2017 at 04:52 AM.

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-29-2017), Lady (04-30-2017), plax (04-29-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (04-29-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Presumably young birds need a different diet to older less active ones. Stuff to help build strong bones and give them energy. I think Harrison's mixes seem to be targeted at mature birds so maybe hold off a bit until she is older? As Rosalyn has already mentioned, get her into the habit of eating her veggies at a young age.
    Birds seem to instinctively know what they need to eat but can very easily get into bad habits with stuff that is tasty but only needed in moderation.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-29-2017), Lady (04-30-2017), plax (04-29-2017), Quakerella (04-29-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (04-29-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Agree with Quakerella and Casper's 2nd best friend. Limit the seeds and use them as a snack or treat. My conures eat mostly fruits and vegetables with a few pellets. Their preference is Roudybush. I also feed them mashed sweet potato with cinnamon as an afternoon snack.

You must be so excited....please post some pics when she is home.

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Lady (04-30-2017), plax (04-29-2017), Quakerella (04-29-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (04-29-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    Personally I would make fresh fruits and veggies the staple with pellets readily available. Grain is great for them as well as eggs and pasta, and they love popcorn.

Quick addition - all my birds absolutely love whole grain cheerios
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Presumably young birds need a different diet to older less active ones. Stuff to help build strong bones and give them energy. I think Harrison's mixes seem to be targeted at mature birds so maybe hold off a bit until she is older?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    I also feed them mashed sweet potato with cinnamon as an afternoon snack.
    I will make sure to feed lots and lots of fruits and veggies, thank you for your advice Quakerella!! What kind of grains would I be able to feed? Also what ways do you feed eggs and pasta in your birds' diet? What kind of popcorn is safe?

Casper's 2nd best friend What pellet brands would I be able to feed Kai until she is a tad bit older? Should I hold off on Harrison's until she is around 7 months old? If not, at what age would I introduce Harrison's to her? Thank you

DragonLady2 I love that idea!! Would I use ground cinnamon?
    Kindest Regards,
    ThatsFowlPlay

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-29-2017), Lady (04-30-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Yes to the ground cinnamon. I use only Ceylon cinnamon. It's a little more expensive but healthier overall, imo.

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (04-30-2017), Quakerella (04-29-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (04-29-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I think I've just identified a gap in the market - I can't find any foods for junior parrots.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-29-2017), Lady (04-30-2017), Quakerella (04-29-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (04-29-2017)

Parrots

I noticed that too. I think my plan is to introduce her to Harrison's High Potency for about 6 months then switch to the Lifetime pellets. Fruits and vegetables will mainly be part of her diet and I'm hoping to try out some awesome recipes!!
    Kindest Regards,
    ThatsFowlPlay

16. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-29-2017), Dragonlady2 (04-29-2017), Lady (04-30-2017), Quakerella (04-29-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    What kind of grains would I be able to feed? Also what ways do you feed eggs and pasta in your birds' diet? What kind of popcorn is safe?
    You could feed her brown rice, barley, quinoa, millet, wild rice, etc. Whenever you are making for yourself put a little aside for Kai. You could also add some chopped veggie to make it interesting. The same with pasta. My IRN's love spaghetti noodles, I think they love to play with them more than eat them though

Scrambled egg is fine, make sure you let it cool. My little ones get egg when weaning, it is soft and warm and they really enjoy it.

I would use air popped popcorn, I believe Helena does this and she seasons it with something but I can't remember what it is. I am sure she will be here soon and can let us know.

Moderation and balance is key to Kai's health.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures when you get her home.

18. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-29-2017), Lady (04-30-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (04-29-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I use a little coconut oil to pop the corn, then season with cayenne pepper and chili powder. The little bit of oil helps the seasoning to stick. I also give them red rice and quinoa.

20. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (04-30-2017), Quakerella (04-29-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (04-30-2017)