User Tag List

Thread: After Vacation Clinginess

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

After Vacation Clinginess

We have been home from vacation since late Saturday night.

Since that time Rosie has been literally on me constantly. The exception is when I go out or to bed and put her in her cage. Which is really the only time she is really eating. She will go to her tree or stand for potty breaks and possibly a quick bite but that is it.

She is always somewhat clingy when we get back from trips, but this is a bit worse. I am beginning to think I may give her some formula just to be sure she is getting enough nutrition. Sigh.

Has anyone dealt with this when they get home?

Here she is preening on my leg as I type this post. Silly girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-19-2017), Lady (04-20-2017), plax (04-21-2017), Quakerella (04-20-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Attagirl Rosie, keep those butt feathers tidy
    Casper gets velcro-itis even after M has been shopping for a couple of hours.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-19-2017), kendrafitz (04-20-2017), Lady (04-20-2017), Quakerella (04-20-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Rosie is a smart girl. She has figured out that if she is on you, you can't just disappear without her.
    I never have this issue because I never leave for long. Joey is the only one that jumps on me whenever I am near, passing by etc.

6. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-20-2017), kendrafitz (04-20-2017), Lady (04-20-2017), plax (04-21-2017), Quakerella (04-20-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I don't have a clinging problem with Lady either. Then again we haven't left her at all since the day she came to live with us. Vacations are never more than a day trip and one of us is always home with as little as two hours between time.

I don't know if giving her some formula is good or not.....what about giving her her favorite fattening nuts when you put her on her tree or anywhere that isn't on you. Maybe she will associate these treats with being on a place that isn't hanging on Mommy and she will get some extra calories??? If you give her formula will you have to feed it to her or will she sit somewhere by herself and eat it as long as you are within her sight?

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-20-2017), kendrafitz (04-20-2017), plax (04-21-2017), Quakerella (04-20-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    I don't have a clinging problem with Lady either. Then again we haven't left her at all since the day she came to live with us. Vacations are never more than a day trip and one of us is always home with as little as two hours between time.

I don't know if giving her some formula is good or not.....what about giving her her favorite fattening nuts when you put her on her tree or anywhere that isn't on you. Maybe she will associate these treats with being on a place that isn't hanging on Mommy and she will get some extra calories??? If you give her formula will you have to feed it to her or will she sit somewhere by herself and eat it as long as you are within her sight?
    She has all her favorite nuts in her cage and on her stand in my room. I even had pistachios on the bed with us. No interest.

I ended up giving her some formula this afternoon. She sits on my arm over the kitchen sink. Then I run water for her to drink after. Today she decided to take a shower in the sink as well.

Hoping tomorrow she will be less clingy and eat more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

10. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-20-2017), Dragonlady2 (04-20-2017), Lady (04-20-2017), plax (04-21-2017), Quakerella (04-20-2017)

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    Awwwwww she missed you lol but come on rosie you need to eat little lady lol

12. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-20-2017), kendrafitz (04-27-2017), Lady (04-21-2017), plax (04-21-2017), Quakerella (04-20-2017)