User Tag List

Thread: sneezing after baths

Parrots

Cockatiel

Question sneezing after baths

Hi, I'm a new member and not totally sure how this works. I'm a little worried about a cockatiel I have so hopefully someone can help.

Zeus, the cockatiel I have, isn't actually mine. I lost my cockatiel, Bailey, a few months ago and while on my search for him I was called by a lady that found a VERY similar looking bird. It wasn't Bailey sadly, and they couldn't look after the bird, so I am looking after him / searching for his owners, and thats how I got Zeus.

Now Bailey hated the water. But Zeus jumps under taps any chance he gets. Which is fine, apart from that he sneezes for a good while after. I've tried drying him and he's not shacking or appearing cold. So i'm wondering if he's having trouble breathing when he does it?

I took him to the vet when I first got him to make sure he was okay after his time being free but I'm worried the vet missed something.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any idea whats happening?

Thanks for your help!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum Emma! Zeus probably gets some water in his nares and he sneezes to clear them. My birds will also sneeze during and after their baths.
    Zeus is lucky to have found someone who cares about him as much as you do. We would love to see a picture of him.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (04-19-2017), Lady (04-20-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Welcome to PP Emma.
    I would also imagine that he is just clearing his nasal passages. Casper has a nasty habit of sneezing while sitting on a shoulder. We either get an earful or our face sprayed. If we are lucky it just goes all over the computer screen. I have suggested that in polite company humans put their hand over their mouth when sneezing and perhaps he could cover his beak with a wing but I suspect he considers it to be a token of affection.
    Do you ever think that Zeus's previous guardians might now be looking after Bailey and wondering why their bird that used to love water now doesn't care for it.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-19-2017), kendrafitz (04-19-2017), Lady (04-20-2017), plax (04-20-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Emma! ,
    I'm sorry you lost Bailey. I know that must of been difficult. How amazing that you found Zeus. It's wonderful that you are keeping him while you try to find his family. What a great thing to do for both the family and him.
    As for the sneezing, I agree with the others who have replied, it does sound like he is just clearing his nose. Keep an eye on him to be sure he doesn't get all puffed up or hang out at the bottom of the cage because that could mean he isn't feeling well.
    How long have you been searching for his family? Have you put flyers out or gone to pet finder and made it know? What about the vet office....did they hear of anyone asking about him? If you shouldn't find his family are you going to keep him?
    Have you had birds before Bailey?

Parrots

Cockatiel
    Thank you so much!
    Just stressing because I've been told that Zeus was likely an Avery bird by the vet because he can't recognise glass/ has never had his wings clipped/ interacts with birds more than humans. So i thought maybe it was an illness he picked up! glad to hear its normal!

This is Zeus! Vet suspects he's not much older than 2 (but who knows). So I'll have a friend have Bailey if he turns up!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9247 (1).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	4888

8. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-20-2017), Dragonlady2 (04-20-2017), kendrafitz (04-20-2017), Lady (04-20-2017), ThatsFowlPlay (04-20-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Zeus is beautiful! I hope Bailey turns up and enjoys his new friend. If he does I would think about quarantining them from each other in case one of them has picked up any thing while they were away from you and out in the world.

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-20-2017)

Parrots

Cockatiel
    I did the same for Zeus what I did for Bailey. Posters, contacting vets, websites, Facebook pages. The people that originally found him also spoke to vets but nothing yet.
    I actually kept getting calls that someone had reported a found bird that matched Baileys description only to find out it was actually Zeus haha. They look very similar at first glance. I've taken Zeus to a vet and a few people that look after birds, all have suggested he acts like an Avery bird and that people sometimes don't come looking for them which I find ridiculous. I will keep him as long as I can, He's not great with people at the moment so I'm trying and get him friendlier before I consider anything if no one comes for him.
    If you have any other suggestions though on how to find them please let me know.

I've had Budgies for years before Bailey, and Bailey for for 5 years. I have an Avian vet, food and a few good (now empty) cages so I'm confident I can look after him. Just the sneezing after a bath caught me of guard haha

Great advice. Hopefully bailey comes back! thank you!

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-20-2017), Lady (04-20-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Are you prepared for the awkward moment when the prodigal son returns only to find that you have let his cage out to a lodger?

Zeus is so cute, he looks well cared for and his plumage looks in excellent condition.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 04-20-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-20-2017), Lady (04-21-2017), Quakerella (04-20-2017)

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    What a cutie pie its awsome that youve takin him in

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-20-2017), Lady (04-21-2017), Quakerella (04-20-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Zeus is adorable and looks to be healthy. What a wonderful thing you are doing to care for him while searching for his original caregivers. He is very lucky.

I agree with all the other posts, mine do the same after a bath. I also find my cockatiels sneeze more than any of my other birds, this is more than likely due to the powder dust.

18. The following user likes this post:

Lady (04-21-2017)