User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iguanas and Stingrays and Swimming Pigs, Oh My!!

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Iguanas and Stingrays and Swimming Pigs, Oh My!!

Last week was my kids Spring Break so we decided to adventure to Little Exuma in the Bahamas with the family we regularly vacation with.

I have wanted to go to the Exuma Cays since I saw a video of the swimming pigs there. We had some weather and boat issues so we didn't make it to see the official pigs, but we did manage to see some swimming pigs anyway.

It was a fun week filled with mishaps and crazy adventures in a beautiful remote location.

Thought I would share some pics with you all.

My mom watched the loonies here at the Fitz Farm. They all had a great time but were happy to see us. Rosie has been physically on me or within 3 feet of me since we got home. It's fun to get away, but there is nothing like being home with you crazy family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 04-16-2017 at 11:07 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-18-2017), Dragonlady2 (04-17-2017), Lady (04-19-2017), PlaxMacaws (04-17-2017)

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    Wow all of thoes pics are amazing and omg swiming piggsssssss thoes iggys are mean looking to thanks for the share looks like you guys had a blast

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-17-2017), kendrafitz (04-17-2017), Lady (04-19-2017), PlaxMacaws (04-17-2017)

Now that looks so relaxing. A friend of mine should be getting back tomorrow after doing a cruise there in the Bahamas too. Wonder if he saw any pigs swimming. Can they fly over there too? I just had to ask that one.

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-17-2017), kendrafitz (04-17-2017), Lady (04-19-2017), PlaxMacaws (04-17-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Great pics. I love the beaches and water. Are the pigs somewhat tame? I see people with them?

8. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (04-17-2017), Lady (04-19-2017)

Parrots

We had high winds most days and then our boat broke down when we did get to do the full day tour. The pigs we did see were huge and just exhausted new Moms. There were about 10 babies sleeping in the shade. They came out for food but weren't excited to see us. It was a bit of a letdown. We were the only ones there as it isn't the "real" pig island. If the boat hadn't broken down we would have been able to swim with nurse sharks, sting rays and sea turtles at their islands. We were also headed to Thunderball Grotto, which was where a scene or two from James Bond movies were filmed. The other family and guys in mine are done with the Exuma Cay. It is very remote and although the people are friendly there were more mishaps than I can relay. So I will have to go back with my daughter at some point in my life to see what we missed. I LOVED it there. Just beautiful and quiet. We only saw people on our beach once during our stay. We were the only people at Sandy Cay when we went Friday (Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed there). We were also the only people at the cays we stopped at on our ill fated tour.

Here is a video of the pigs we were hoping to see.

youtu.be/BJuL-yK-I8g

If anyone is looking for a quiet vacation in the most breath taking location I have ever seen, I recommend it highly. As long as you are aware it is not 5 star service. The home we rented was stunning, could not ask for anything more. But the caretakers and boat captains were not reliable. So as long as you go knowing not to expect awesome service, it is absolute Paradise.
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 04-17-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-17-2017), Lady (04-19-2017), PlaxMacaws (04-17-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Macaw Lover View Post
    Now that looks so relaxing. A friend of mine should be getting back tomorrow after doing a cruise there in the Bahamas too. Wonder if he saw any pigs swimming. Can they fly over there too? I just had to ask that one.
    How cool would that be?!? Lol

Cruises usually go to Nassau, which is connected to Paradise Island. But I believe you can get a tour from Nassau on a speed boat to the pigs. It's about an hour ride I believe. Hope your friend had an unbelievable trip!!
    Rosie & Kendra

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-17-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Great pics. I love the beaches and water. Are the pigs somewhat tame? I see people with them?
    Yes, the pigs are fairly tame. They are used to tourists coming with food. So they swim out to boats and come up to you on the beach. People pick the babies up for cuddles and pics so they are tame enough for that.

A bunch died a month or so ago. People were giving them alcohol and putting food on the beach for them to eat. Investing the sand was the cause of death I believe but I'm sure alcohol didn't help. Just horrible. As an animal lover, it makes me so upset that people have such disregard for living beings.

The iguanas on their island were a bit aggressive. And there were a lot of them. Some wee HUGE. They had no problem charging us when they thought we had food. They also were fighting with each other.

I personally liked the stingrays the best.
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 04-17-2017 at 05:50 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-17-2017), Lady (04-19-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Cool photos, Kendra! Despite the mishaps and weather issues confronting you it appears everyone had a nice time. And BTW, your latest cookies look like real starfish!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-18-2017), kendrafitz (04-17-2017), Lady (04-19-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    Cool photos, Kendra! Despite the mishaps and weather issues confronting you it appears everyone had a nice time. And BTW, your latest cookies look like real starfish!
    Thanks Tony. Yes, we had a great time.

If you are referring to the pic in this thread, those are starfish, not cookies. Our captain dove down and brought them up for a few minutes. He assured us they would be ok in that time. They are very different to the delicate starfish in our area. They are HUGE and hard shelled. So interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

18. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (04-18-2017)

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    Wow how beautiful and omg swimming pigs i have to swim with pigs one of these days . Thoes star fish are huge looks like you had fun despit the errors that occurred thanks for sharing

20. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (04-18-2017), Lady (04-19-2017)