User Tag List

Thread: Budgie Hen Failing to Lay

Budgie Hen Failing to Lay

I wonder if someone might have some ideas...

I kept budgies on and off for 15 years but have never had this issue. I recently began keeping these great little birds after some time off. I bought a pair but I suspect the hen has French moult, so I've removed her from the breeding flight and bought a new hen.

It took about a month, but she has now paired with the cock bird. They regularly feed each other and mate, and she is in the nestbox A LOT. So much so, she's pulled out a lot of her breast feathers to line the box with....but....no eggs. Her droppings are loose and large, but I think that's because she's in the nest box a lot of time so they're not normal consistency.

It's been about four weeks of this behaviour, but still nothing. She has minerals, calcium, egg food, green stuff and is acting exactly how all my other past hens have, but no eggs at all. Any ideas?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! I don't know much about the breeding aspects, however, I would be concerned that she has a soft egg? I would take her to the vet to be sure. There are breeders on the forum and they may answer as well.
    How old is she? Is this her first clutch?

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (04-05-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Geoff and Welcome,

I have never bred budgies, so I m unsure of their laying pattern or time.

Are you using natural light, or full spectrum, and how many hours per day? Breeding birds need approximately 16 hours of daylight.

She could have layed internally, and the shell was never formed. If so the egg may be absorbed or may lead to egg yolk peritonitis.

You said you give her calcium, is this in her water? Try giving her hardboiled egg with the shell. I give this daily to all my breeders during mating.

I hope this may help a little. My uncle used to breed show budgies many years ago. I will see if he has any more information that may help

Good luck

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-05-2017), Lady (04-05-2017)

Thank you both. She was last year's hen so yes, this would be her first clutch...and you've made me wonder - perhaps, despite her body telling her its time to nest, she's simply not old enough to lay yet? I forgot to get the seller's detail when I bought her at a bird sale so I've got no way of checking her actual age but I suppose, give it time!

As for calcium, I haven't tried hard-boiled eggs - I've just seen her gnawing on the cuttlefish bone. I'll try cooking up some eggs to see if that helps - if she takes it.

7. The following user likes this post:

Lady (04-08-2017)