User Tag List

Thread: Disabled lory

Hybrid View

Disabled lory

Hi guys! Recently, a friend of mine gave me his red lory (Mimi) because he couldn't keep her in his parents home. I know her since the beggining and she was very found of me and I of her. Now she is in my house, I think I'm her human. The only concern I have is she physically disabled (she has her left paw damaged and them right is also crooked, since birth. She does fine, she found her ways of doing everything). She is lovely and cheerfull but also she bites like a lot, not much me but everyone else in my house. She doesn't talk much, only screams and wistles. Do you think she can be a little mentally disabled too?
    Don't get me wrong, I love her deeply and just want to understand so I can give her the best care and keep her happy and healthy!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    How long have you had the lory? Can you post a picture of it? It may be that it requires more time with your family or some adjustments to its cage/surroundings to make it more comfortable. Red lorys are beautiful birds.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (03-24-2017), Quakerella (03-24-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    A move and having new caregivers is stressful for any bird, but one with a disability may have a harder time adjusting. Time and trust, I believe will do wonders for Mimi. It is good to know she went to someone that she already trusts and is fond of. Wonderful of you to care for this little one. I would love to see a picture of her.

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-24-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Awe... have you ever had her to the avian veterinarian for a check on her foot? Maybe it's painful or flaring up for some reason. I have no idea if she could have any mental problems just because of her foot but it would be great if you would have her checked by the doctor.
    If you are "her human" then she chose you as her best friend or mate and many birds will get upset when someone comes near their mate. It is their way of showing that you are theirs. They can show displeasure to others by trying to bite or even get loud to keep them away from you. There are sometimes other body language signs too.
    Last edited by Lady; 03-24-2017 at 02:24 AM.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-24-2017), Quakerella (03-24-2017)