User Tag List

Thread: New Conure- dont want a 1 person bird

New Conure- dont want a 1 person bird

Hello. 3 days ago my husband and I adopted a 6 year old Sun Conure. He has always wanted birds. She seemed to like me from the get go, and she was good around him, she would come to him, liked to perch on him and let him pet her. 3 days later she seems to ONLY want me..all the time! And will not let my husband pet her or hold her anymore. He is SO patient and gentle. I really dont want her to want just me. Is there anything I can do? I have decided to back off and not hold her or give her much attention for the next couple days hoping she will go to him? Any suggestions. Its our first bird.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-21-2017), Lady (03-24-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! Do you have any information about your conure's previous home(s)? Did it favour one person over another? Do you look or sound like its favoured person?
    Three days is a short time in your bird's world. Think of it as being a child that was moved from its parents to another home with different people. It may take a while for adjustment and right now your bird may see security with you. Maybe have your husband be the one to feed and give treats to it. At times, could you leave the area (out of sight) and leave it with your husband? The reality is that birds can be just as picky in choosing their favourite people as humans can be. I have birds that favour me to exclusion of anyone else and a couple of mine will immediately gravitate to any man that walks in the room (traitors....lol).
    What is your bird's name? Do you know the sex?
    Looking forward to some pictures

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (03-24-2017), plax (04-07-2017), Quakerella (03-22-2017)

Thanks for the reply Dragonlady2! Roxy was previously attached to the male of her last family Today we decided my husband to be the one who feeds them. She came with a cockatiel of the same age (Barry 6) and they have been together mostly their whole lives. He is much more standoffish but will also fly to me to be near Roxy. Sounds like what we are doin maybe the right thing.. havnt figured out how to post pictures yet

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-21-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome
    Whenever Casper gets too affectionate with either me or Margaret he gets immediately handed to the other of us. Try getting Roxy to step up between you, backwards and forwards, maybe introduce a bit of head scritching if she will allow, hopefully she will get the message that you are both lovely people and will want to share her time between you like Casper does. It took us a while though, the man in his previous home wasn't very nice to him.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-22-2017), Lady (03-24-2017), plax (04-07-2017), Quakerella (03-22-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi and welcome.

Great advice, and I fully agree. As Helena said, birds can be finicky. They can dislike a scent, hair colour, glasses, you name it.

I had a lady purchase a baby cockatiel from me. A week after she had him/her home she emailed me and said it was hissing, biting and drawing blood. I told her to bring it back to me. When I took it out of the carrier she was astonished how sweet this little one was towards me. I don't like to rehome birds, but I had a friend that was looking for a cockatiel and I explained the situation to her. She took this little one and called him/her sweet willow. She said it is the most affectionate bird she has ever owned.

There was just something about this lady that didn't agree with the bird. It didn't show any apprehension or aggressiveness towards her when she was here and she visited the bird three times before taking it home. Maybe because I was here also.

Give your little one some time to get used to his/her new surroundings, maybe let your husband give out the treats for a bit to see how your bird responds.

Good luck and I am looking forward to hearing any updates

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-22-2017), Dragonlady2 (03-22-2017), Lady (03-24-2017), plax (04-07-2017)

Thanks for the great advice from Casper! After just a day, Roxy has started going to my husband and We have been playing the game where she steps up back and forth between us. Its working beautifully. Thanks everyone for the great advice! Also, Id love to post a pic but my jpeg must be too large? Im having trouble with that.

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-24-2017), Dragonlady2 (03-24-2017), Lady (03-24-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Roxyoscar,
    sounds like your off to a good start with the advice you have been given here already! I hear you about trying to post pics that are to large, I always have to resort to resizing mine as well and I'm not the best at it either. Keep trying though we would love to see your new flock members. You probably already have a program on your computer like photo gallery that does a pretty good job helping to crop the pic down to a smaller size.

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-24-2017), plax (04-07-2017), Quakerella (03-24-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wonder how things are going?