User Tag List

Thread: Coconut Oil?

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Coconut Oil?

For the first time EVER, Rosie had about 2 months with no molting. It was heaven.

This week she has started with a super heavy molt to make up for it. Feathers everywhere!

Today while we were preening, I noticed the skin with no feathers around her neck and what I call shoulder blades is very dry. Has anyone had this issue? I was wondering if I should rub some coconut oil or pure aloe on her skin? Has anyone done this?

Poor girl is back to being a needle filled, itchy, grumpy mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-17-2017)

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    If lucky will let me ill put it on his beak and feets because they seem dry sometimes lol i dont think living i san deigo in the area i do helps any at all lol

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by kendrafitz View Post
    For the first time EVER, Rosie had about 2 months with no molting. It was heaven.

This week she has started with a super heavy molt to make up for it. Feathers everywhere!

Today while we were preening, I noticed the skin with no feathers around her neck and what I call shoulder blades is very dry. Has anyone had this issue? I was wondering if I should rub some coconut oil or pure aloe on her skin? Has anyone done this?

Poor girl is back to being a needle filled, itchy, grumpy mess.

I would feed it to her instead of applying, jmo. I was just thinking about how much dust or food might stick to it. I think that people use aloe spray. I just make sure that my birds take more baths to get those pinnies dried out quicker.
    Not much help I am.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (03-16-2017), Quakerella (03-17-2017)

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post

I would feed it to her instead of applying, jmo. I was just thinking about how much dust or food might stick to it. I think that people use aloe spray. I just make sure that my birds take more baths to get those pinnies dried out quicker.
    Not much help I am.
    O man come to think of it that makes sense. I WonderWonder if letting it set at room temperature then putting in to foods ???? Just an idea

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-17-2017), Quakerella (03-17-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Ahh, poor Rosie, Needle filled, itchy and grumpy. You both have our sympathies. Offer her cuttlefish bones or other calcium supplements. Casper has a bone in his cage all year but only really works at it when he is moulting - as though he is aware he needs extra at this time.
    You can probably buy special clips to hold the bones, but me being a cheapskate made one from the spring clip of a tape measure cassette which I fix by drilling a
    hole through the middle of the bone and bolting to the clip with a large washer on the bone side.
    Bolts, nuts and washers are stainless steel.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-17-2017), kendrafitz (03-17-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Ahh, poor Rosie, Needle filled, itchy and grumpy. You both have our sympathies. Offer her cuttlefish bones or other calcium supplements. Casper has a bone in his cage all year but only really works at it when he is moulting - as though he is aware he needs extra at this time.
    You can probably buy special clips to hold the bones, but me being a cheapskate made one from the spring clip of a tape measure cassette which I fix by drilling a
    hole through the middle of the bone and bolting to the clip with a large washer on the bone side.
    Bolts, nuts and washers are stainless steel.
    She has a cuttlebone in her cage all the time. She really almost never pays attention to it.

I am used to her molting, she has molted constantly since she was a baby. Except for the two month break. We do the showers and preening.

I just feel badly that the area with no feathers looks so dry. Obviously I can only see it when I am preening her. She loves to be rubbed there so that is why I was thinking a drop of oil or aloe might be acceptable to her (as in she wouldn't notice).

Rosie & Kendra

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-17-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well and am glad to hear you are on your way to recovery. How is Rosie acting today? Are you seeing any signs she may not be feeling herself? I'm sure it will be a bit difficult to tell as you stated in another thread she is molting.

I have used coconut oil on perches that Lady uses often to help get some of it onto her feet. I have tricked her in drinking coconut water, as she likes some of what I'm drinking. She didn't seem to mind the taste but feels a few sips was enough. I purchase it in a carton rather than the can. I try and drink it myself in the summer due to the heat. When I have something to drink around her I have to have two glasses, one for her and one for me .
    Last edited by Lady; 03-19-2017 at 06:44 PM.

13. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-18-2017), Dragonlady2 (03-18-2017), kendrafitz (03-19-2017), Quakerella (03-20-2017)

Parrots

She is cranky and ornery, but that is normal for her. So I think she is ok health wise. Thank goodness. But she is filled with sharp pin feathers. So she is cranky. She goes between wanting me to preen her and then yelling at me and pinching bc it is uncomfortable. I have no idea of how she deals with this all the time. Between feather shafts poking through the skin and then poking her once they come through. It is rough. I don't envy birds at all. Especially ones like my girl who molt all the time. It stinks. I may mist her with aloe.

Rosie & Kendra

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-19-2017), Lady (03-19-2017), Quakerella (03-20-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    What a wonderful relief to know she is okay. Would be great if we could come up with something to relieve them of the dry pinnies. Bears use trees sometimes to scratch an itch and dogs and cats rub up against us or other things when they have an itch. We even have this half round post sort of thing that our cats can walk under to help them shed their loose hair and relieve some itching.
    I guess it just goes to show that it's one reason why birds need a mate to help make their lives more comfortable.

17. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-19-2017), kendrafitz (03-19-2017), Quakerella (03-20-2017)