User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any info appreciated

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    Tony have you tried putting a little, olive oil, coconut oil or red palm oil on a rag and rubbing over the grate. Obviously not enough to make it slippery or dangerous, but maybe this may make it easier to clean.
    Yes Rosalyn, I have used both of those. They work to a point, as long as the coating of oil is regularly replenished. But as far as a concept feature for a new cage design, I was referring to some sort of virtually permanent grate surface that would continue to bead off wet substances with little to no maintenance.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (03-16-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by zac_norwood View Post
    What about with the middle feeder if you had a sort of removable stand attached dead center that came up about half way with feeder/waterer with the mounts for a perch on either side of the feeder/waterer, this would make the cage more appealing with 1-2 perches included and also eliminate the need for the angled seed guards around the which I find quite ugly.
    You're welcome, Zac. And I think your removable feeder/waterer center stand with accompanying perches is a spectacular idea! I've not seen anything like it yet. It's exactly what I pictured. The included perches, if positioned properly with respect to the food and water bowl fixtures, would ensure its efficacy. Additionally, it would give the cage a uniquely interesting appearance. Almost like an island within the cage that may double as an internal playstand. I'd love to see you do something like that.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-15-2017), Lady (03-18-2017), Quakerella (03-15-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I love the idea of a middle feeder! As well, it would reduce the messy bars, and potentially, food all over the walls.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

PlaxMacaws (03-15-2017), Quakerella (03-15-2017)

Parrots

Zac: I'm unsure whether you've given much thought to how you might support the center-stand structure. If you anchor it to the lower frame, it would likely need to come through the center of the cage's sliding grate. Without using a split-grate solution -which is one possibility- my thought would be to leave an open slot on the back of the grate itself. This may involve merely cutting away each of the grate's cross bars that intersect its two center bars up through the middle area. And an opening in the back of the grate's frame would be required as well to complete the slot. Whereas if you supported the stand structure from above the grate, of course, it would necessarily require a horizontal support structure that would be vulnerable to falling poop and would thus require frequent cleaning. My other thought is to mount the center-stand structure from the roof of the cage. That would seem to resolve the grate interference, and poop-vulnerable support structure problems. So just some further thoughts on the topic for you.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-15-2017), Quakerella (03-16-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Funny Tony, I was thinking about this also and you have some great points. I guess a lot would depend on the size of the cage and the size of the bird so as not to interfere with the wing span. I was actually thinking of a large, long perch that reached to the centre and the food and water mounted at the end. This way it could be moved to accommodate for changes to the cage setup. Just my thoughts, but I like the idea of the feeding station in the middle.
    Last edited by Quakerella; 03-16-2017 at 03:59 AM.

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-16-2017)

Parrots

Funny Tony, I was thinking about this also and you have some great points. I guess a lot would depend on the size of the cage and the size of the bird so as not to interfere with the wing span.
    Thanks. And you're indeed correct. Which is why I said:

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    However, the concept may only be practical with larger bird cages due to room constraints.
    ...meaning there may not be enough room for the station within the cages for smaller parrots.

I was actually thinking of a large, long perch that reached to the centre and the food and water mounted at the end. This way it could be moved to accommodate for changes to the cage setup. Just my thoughts, but I like the idea of the feeding station in the middle.
    Hey, that's a great idea too, Rosalyn . And it's closer to something which most folks should be able to implement themselves. Good thinking.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-16-2017), Quakerella (03-16-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    An A frame for the centre feeding station would also give the birds a nice slope to slide down. Casper loves doing that on his day perch - slides down, climbs back up and does it again and again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	4857

Not a pic of him sliding but you can see the idea.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-16-2017), Lady (03-18-2017), PlaxMacaws (03-16-2017), Quakerella (03-16-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    An A frame for the centre feeding station would also give the birds a nice slope to slide down. Casper loves doing that on his day perch - slides down, climbs back up and does it again and again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	4857

Not a pic of him sliding but you can see the idea.
    I like this idea. I might try to come up with something myself. It could be removed at night for cleaning and a bird could stand on it and still flap it's wings without hitting any hanging toys.

16. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (03-16-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Interesting idea, Jean-Pierre. A couple of things that I wonder about, though, are: 1) keeping poop off of the diagonal uprights, 2) how easy removal of the unit through the cage door might or might not be for cleaning, and 3) how much space may be sacrificed inside of the cage to make room for the unit's support structure. For larger macaw and cockatoo size cages it may especially be a wonderful option.

18. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-17-2017), Dragonlady2 (03-16-2017), Quakerella (03-17-2017)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    In addition,I suggest strong industrial wheels.I typically buy HQ brand cages...plastic wheels are always breaking.....and believe it or not we have a wheen and castor store down the street that cant find replacements.
    Also however you design the latches,be sure they are bird proof.One pair of my macaws has figured out how to open their foodbowl doors and walk out
    "Ivo"

20. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-16-2017), Lady (03-18-2017), PlaxMacaws (03-16-2017), Quakerella (03-17-2017)