User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Bahama's eskimo kiss

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl_Digital View Post
    Thank you all for your wonderful comments.

Kendra, Jimmy will be 2 years old in May! He's still just a baby

Helena, choosing a macaw was actually a long decision. My mother had a several small birds when I was a teen... and thirty years later I decided to get a bird. We decided on a larger bird and my partner and I both have always thought that macaws were beautiful. But before we made any commitment, I went through a research stage. I bought 5 books on macaws and I have to admit that after reading them, it took me a while before I could truthfully say that I was up to the task. I don't want to sound nerdy or anything, but I was being very introspective and I put myself in that position of cleaning, caring for, housing, spending extra money, and having the patience and the time for a larger bird. Meanwhile, I found and avian vet in my area to make sure that he could have proper care for emergencies and general check ups. Lastly, I knew that my bird would out live me... so I decided on an action plan for his care when my partner and myself become old and frail. Once, I had all this figured out... Jimmy Bahama finally came into my life. And it's been really great! He is really fantastic (just a fun loving guy) and we love having him out of the cage whenever either one of us are home.

My next step is to try and get him to "like" his flight harness so that we can take him outside and he can use those wings! Right now I have a Pack-O-Bird (I totally recommend them! Very sturdy. Well built. Amazingly lightweight. --I do not own, nor have stock in that company! lol)... anyhow, with the Pack-O-Bird I can take him to the park for some outside time, but he really only likes to be in there for an hour or so before he wants out. Long story short, I really want to get him accustomed to this darn flight harness.

I welcome any ideas, recommendations, and thoughts that all of you with experience have and want to share! I'm glad that I found this website.
    I have thought about the Pack-O-Bird many times over the years. With a macaw it is a huge investment. I was worried my GW Rosie might chew it up and destroy it. Does Jimmy try to chew it at all?

The only advice I have for the harness is be careful getting it off. We used it for a while when Rosie was a baby and she was fine. Then one day we had a freak accident and it got wrapped around her wing and the poor thing was a freaked out mess. One of the only times she ever hurt me was when I was trying to remove it. Now I can't even take it out of the drawer without her shaking. But as I said it was a freak accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-12-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome. Casper would have great fun removing your ear decorations and then we would have great fun* trying to remove the bit in his beak and find the back-piece that he has dropped somewhere. Has Jimmy not realised all the fun that you can all have?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-12-2017), kendrafitz (03-13-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Great pic of you both. Welcome to P.P. How wonderful that Jimmy has such a great home to spend his life. I'm looking forward to hearing all about your adventures with him.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-12-2017), Quakerella (03-15-2017)

Parrots

Blue and Gold Macaw -- named Jimmy Bahama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Hello and welcome. Casper would have great fun removing your ear decorations and then we would have great fun* trying to remove the bit in his beak and find the back-piece that he has dropped somewhere. Has Jimmy not realised all the fun that you can all have?
    Yes!!! As a matter of fact Jimmy has already done this!

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-14-2017), Dragonlady2 (03-13-2017)

Parrots

Kendra... Yes the Pack-O-Bird is on the pricey side indeed. When I take him out, Jimmy is really interested in everything that is happening around him for about an hour or so. Then he gets restless and he has tried to chew on the pack. That's when I take him home! He has not been able to destroy the pack yet, but I'm sure given enough time... he could destroy anything!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At the ball park.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	4854

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-14-2017), Dragonlady2 (03-13-2017), kendrafitz (03-14-2017), Lady (03-18-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    This may sound like a silly question, but I do not have a Macaw (would love one though).

How do you carry the Pack? I am not a very tall person (5' 2" maybe) and if I were to try to carry the Pack by the handle it would drag on the ground. I wonder if putting caster on the bottom would work for us little people?

I love the idea though.

Is there a way to secure this with a seat belt if you wanted to take into the car?

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-13-2017), Lady (03-18-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl_Digital View Post
    Kendra... Yes the Pack-O-Bird is on the pricey side indeed. When I take him out, Jimmy is really interested in everything that is happening around him for about an hour or so. Then he gets restless and he has tried to chew on the pack. That's when I take him home! He has not been able to destroy the pack yet, but I'm sure given enough time... he could destroy anything!
    Wow, that's a big bird pack! I bet Jimmy has enjoyed some adventures while within it traveling around
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-13-2017), Lady (03-18-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post

Is there a way to secure this with a seat belt if you wanted to take into the car?
    You could pass the seatbelt through the carrying straps, we put Casper in his flight cage in the car and transfer him to the backpack when we arrive. He may be just a small bird but he takes a lot of luggage when he travels.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-14-2017), Lady (03-18-2017), Quakerella (03-15-2017)

Parrots

Rosalyn... sorry I disappeared. It was a busy work week and when I get home its family time (which includes Jimmy). So to answer your question... the pack is designed just like a backpack. It has the two shoulder straps and a waist strap. It is surprisingly light for the size. I took a stock photo from their website so you could see the back. (again... I have no affiliation with this company, but I give them a positive review!)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack-o-bird.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	4865
    As far as carrying it from the handle on the top... yes, it's a bit awkward because this particular pack is very tall. I am only 5'2". So I really only use the top handle for moving the pack a short distance. Securing it to the car is a bit trickier. We typically just use the seat belt. Also the pack is so tall that it is very snug against the car roof liner so the pack doesn't really sway when turning corners.

18. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-18-2017), Lady (03-18-2017), PlaxMacaws (03-19-2017)

Parrots

Oh also... I don't remember where I saw it... but I saw a photo of a baby stroller that had been adapted with the pack-o-bird! I thought it was a fantastic idea.

20. The following 4 users like this post:

kendrafitz (03-19-2017), Lady (03-18-2017), PlaxMacaws (03-19-2017), Quakerella (03-20-2017)