User Tag List

Thread: Making a home bird safe

Parrots

Yzma - Regent Parrot

Making a home bird safe

Our Ysma was an unexpected acquisition less than a week ago. Since then, all we've done is stop using our teflon pots and pans. We'll be getting rid of them and buying a few more stainless steel pieces over the weekend to make the change permanent. What I'd like to know, is what else we should do to make our home safe for her. We don't use any chemical cleaners, and neither of us wear perfumes or lotions. I already have a fairly solid idea of what she can and cannot be fed. Her favorite so far seems to be banana. I just want to be sure I'm doing everything I can to ensure a healthy, and safe environment for our bird. Any and all general safety tips are welcome, particularly those directed towards someone bird-proofing their home for the first time.

2. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (03-02-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    You are probably already aware of these products but in case you aren't:
    Poop-off wipes and the brush applicator - great but Casper for some reason thinks the containers need to be attacked and pushed around the room. Great for those little accidents on the upholstery.
    F10 disinfectant spray and concentrate - our vet told us to use these after Margaret nearly killed Casper cleaning his cage whilst he was in it with household cleaner. Buy both the trigger bottle and the concentrate first time, then just keep refilling the spray bottle with the concentrate and save $$$.
    If you bird starts attacking electrical cables, cover them in spiral loom wrap for cars - adds another layer of protection and since I did ours Casper has ignored them completely.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-02-2017), Kiltsrhott (03-02-2017), Quakerella (03-02-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    All excellent tips Jean-Pierre.

Just some basic safety issues.

Toilet seat should be kept down, or door closed.
    Be careful with sinks full of water.
    Watch to make sure they are not chewing on metal. Metal may contain zinc, and birds can be attracted to it. (i.e. curtain rings, keys, etc)
    Be wary of any painting, varnishing, etc. while your bird is in the home.
    Scented candles are a no no.
    Ceiling fans are a definite safety issue.
    Open doors and windows. Birds are quick, especially cockatiels.
    String from blinds, can get wrapped around feet and neck.

Will think of more and list for you, someone else will be along shorty to answer as well I am sure.

I love the fact you are concerned enough to ask. So many people don't think of home safety issues when they acquire a bird.
    Good for you!!

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-02-2017), Dragonlady2 (03-02-2017), Kiltsrhott (03-02-2017), Lady (03-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I've read that some birds do not see glass, so if you don't keep curtains or blinds in front of your windows decals might be a good idea so Ysma can see that there is something there and it isn't a portal to the outside.

Here is a link to some information I found helpful besides the sticky threads we have here.

http://www.internationaldovesociety....rdproofing.htm

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-04-2017), Kiltsrhott (03-06-2017), Quakerella (03-05-2017)

Parrots

We have more problems with birds outside flying into our windows (and sometimes leaving wonderful grease images on the glass) because we have a large tree quite close to the house. They take off from the tree, see its reflection in our windows and think there is another tree for them to perch in. The window that got hit most has a strip of red tape right across it now, and all windows have arty baked glass bowls and dangly bits so the birds can get a bit of perspective. This sort of thing (which usually sits on the cross bar half way up the window - I'm not sure why it is on the sill here).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2531.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	4847
    I've remembered New window frames just installed, not yet painted.

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-05-2017), Kiltsrhott (03-06-2017), Lady (03-05-2017), Quakerella (03-05-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Check for loose parts on the cage.
    Always check the toys to ensure they are still in good shape....no loose or sharp parts.
    Make sure that toys are American/Canadian made. Toys made in China, for example, have had issues with lead in the paint.

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-05-2017), Kiltsrhott (03-06-2017), Lady (03-05-2017), Quakerella (03-05-2017)

Parrots

Yzma - Regent Parrot
    Thanks everyone! Great tips! I didn't think of the glass issue. I'll make sure to close the blinds before letting her out.

14. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (03-07-2017)

Parrots

Cactii/cactuses can be a hazard to smaller birds. A good plan is to introduce your bird to the cactus so it is aware how prickly it is and not a good perch.
    Here is a picture of Casper pretending he is a cactus

How much is that birdy in the window by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr

If left on his own he will remove all the woodchip and glass beads from the plant pots. He finds the glass beads very tactile in his beak and spends ages rolling them around with his tongue. They are far too big for him to swallow.

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Kiltsrhott (03-06-2017), Quakerella (03-07-2017)

Parrots

Yzma - Regent Parrot
    Haha! What an adorable picture of Casper! I don't have any cacti but I could imagine a bird's shock trying to land on one! O.O

18. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-06-2017), Dragonlady2 (03-08-2017), Quakerella (03-07-2017)