User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Pennsylvania!

Parrots

Yzma - Regent Parrot
    Great idea guys! The man that gave her to us said that he looked up her band number and found out she was bred in California, but he doesn't remember exactly when. There aren't many avian vets out here, which should make it easy to find her records since she came to PA, if she has any. I don't think her species is super common. TBH I had never heard of a Rock Pebbler before now. I'd like to make her an appointment for a check up soon. I'm not sure when she last saw a vet, if ever.

Yzma didn't have a name when we got her. She may have had one with her owner that died, but her name went to the grave with that owner. We named her Yzma. The story behind that is kind of a long one...

We adopted a puppy of unknown breeding at a local shelter. We decided to call him Kuzco because he wasn't very good in the house and we kept "throwing off his groove" with his training. He was also tall, lanky, black, and awkward like Kuzco in his llama form. After much debating as to what kind of dog he was, we had him DNA tested and found out he was actually a wolf dog. This explained a lot of his behaviors, and DNA confirmation of what he was meant we couldn't keep him. Wolf dogs are illegal to own in our state without a wildlife license. They're also banned on a township level where we live, and he violated the terms of our homeowners insurance, so we had to make the difficult decision to surrender him to a sanctuary. He is now living at the same sanctuary where Yzma came from, so in a way, we made a trade, a bird for a wolf dog. Yzma was the antagonist in that movie who was always trying to take Kuzco's throne, so I figured it was fitting in the situation.

There's a little part of me that wants to get a male cockatiel to house next to her, just so I can call him Kronk. lol.

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-28-2017), Dragonlady2 (02-28-2017), Lady (03-04-2017), Quakerella (02-28-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Wow, what a story. Very interesting about the wolf dog. I don't know if we have that law here, I must investigate. It would be nice for Yzma to have another bird to see and hear as she probably misses that from her last place.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Kiltsrhott (02-28-2017), Quakerella (02-28-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Ooh, an Australian parrot also known as a Regent parrot, Wiki says
    The parrot is also known variously as the rock pebbler, rock peplar, black-tailed parakeet, Murray smoker, Marlock parakeet and sometimes regent parakeet.
    So many names for such a small bird
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-28-2017), Kiltsrhott (02-28-2017), Lady (03-04-2017), Quakerella (02-28-2017)

Parrots

Yzma - Regent Parrot
    Yzma is getting more friendly. We've only had her for a few days. Last night and this morning she was chattering to me. I gave her a piece if banana last night and she was too shy to come eat it while I was watching, but she came to the front of her cage and ate some seeds while I was eating breakfast near her cage this morning. Before I left the house this morning I sat by her cage and talked to her. She came over to me and chattered back for a minute before remembering she's supposed to be afraid. Haha. I uncovered her cage and opened the blinds on either side of her cage this morning, so now she'll have clear view of the back and side yards and all the outside birds. I've been keeping her mostly covered to keep her calm, but she seems to be settling down now.

She and the dog seem to be making friends too. We have an older Rottweiler. Her cage is on a table above his head so he can't get to her, but he lays in the living room and listens to her talk. He also stopped whining at night since we brought her home. He can't go upstairs due to his arthritis and he's never been happy about staying downstairs at night, but now he seems not to mind. Every time he walks by she goes to the front of her cage and looks down at him with one eye as if she's curious but not afraid.

So far I'm pleased with her progress. I think she'll fit in well with the family. She just seems happy to have company. She really is a sweet bird.

8. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-01-2017), Dragonlady2 (02-28-2017), kendrafitz (02-28-2017), Lady (03-04-2017), Quakerella (03-01-2017)