User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get a good pic of your bird(s)?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

How do you get a good pic of your bird(s)?

Today I took over 30 pictures of Lady and when I uploaded them to my computer I only found three that were fairly good. I know it's not rockit science but geez, I've checked the settings and the lighting and the exposure and the f stop and everything the camera offers. Still only three. Ugh, she moves so much I can hardly get a good pic.

What's your secret?

Thanks guys .

Parrots

1 1/2 year old DNA tested male Lovebird- Nash
    same thing happens to me.. I take roughly 50 in a sitting and only 2-5 come out good because he 1.) moves too much and 2.) thinks the camera is out to kill him
    Don't think there IS a good way to take pics of birds to be honest haha just lots of bad pics
    http://www.preciselyparrots.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3935&d=1458826196

Super Moderator

Parrots

Awe Savannah don't say that , lol! I guess if nothing else I will help the battery companies. But I'm not giving up just yet. Lady doesn't always mind when I take the camera out, I think the flash even helps me by momentarily blinding her like it does us. She will keep still for a second afterwards and I can click off another shot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00449 (2).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	4837

4. The following user likes this post:

lolsavannahh (02-27-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    You need good light as it is recommended not to use flash for fear of hurting their eyes. If the light is poor the camera has to keep the shutter open longer to compensate and no bird is going to hang around and wait for you. If you have a posh camera you can set it to shutter priority and set the shutter speed yourself. Try 100th of a second. Then adjust the picture in an editing program. The more you adjust it the grainier it will get so don't push it too far.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-27-2017), kendrafitz (02-27-2017), Lady (02-28-2017), Quakerella (02-27-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I use my iPad for taking pics. I found it difficult as well using my camera.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (02-28-2017), Quakerella (02-27-2017)

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    I too have to take a ton of pics in order to get a couple good ones for me the eaiset is jist trying to b e senkey lol which is hard

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-27-2017), Lady (02-28-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Mine hate the camera. Won't stay still for a second.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-27-2017), Lady (02-28-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    This is what I do, which does not get pics anywhere near the quality of Jean-Pierre.

I use my phone or tablet. I switch the camera from facing away to facing me. Then Rosie can see the bird on the screen (herself). She generally flirts and talks to herself a bit before getting annoyed and trying to pinch the camera. Doesn't always work but usually does. But then I may just have a very vain girl. Otherwise I try to take them when she is busy or resting and doesn't notice. Very slow movements. Since I am always attached to a phone or tablet she doesn't think much of it 50% of the time, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-28-2017), Dragonlady2 (02-27-2017), Lady (02-28-2017), Quakerella (02-27-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

My phone and tablet are not of great quality, but the phone is great for texting and the tablet is fun for games. Neither has a flash. This is one reason why I choose to use the camera.

Geez, I hope the flash from the camera doesn't bother her eyes anymore than it does ours, but thanks, I'll keep that in mind. As far as natural lighting, yes, I try to use it when I can but that isn't always good enough. I suppose I will just have to learn more about the features it does have and see if I can get the lens to stay open longer like you suggested Jean-Pierre, thanks.

I don't think Lady hates the camera, she is dealing with me following her all around with it without lunging at it. I guess it is her quick movement that makes it difficult the most.

Thank you for all your suggestions, I'll keep trying!

Parrots

Lovebird
    My lovebird loves the camera. She sees herself in the relection and hits the lens with her beak! She is very easy for me. The best way to picture her is to use zoom on your camera.

People think I'm crazy because I'm a bird man but hey, birds are awesome!

17. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-14-2023)