User Tag List

Thread: Unusual Safety Issues

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels

Unusual Safety Issues

I thought we could start a thread for unusual safety issues that others may not know about.

We all know the obvious safety issues when it comes to a caring for a bird (It's easier to child proof a house than it is to bird proof). Open toilets, hot stoves, ceiling fans are known by most bird caregivers as definite safety issues.
    Do you know of any issues that are a hazard, but are not common or not well known.

I have one that we found out a little while ago.

As most of you know my son plays the guitar. When he is finished there is a large padded hook on his wall and he hangs his guitar up so it doesn't get banged or knocked over. One day when he went out he left Quagy's(lovebird) cage open. I was in the kitchen and heard the guitar. I thought I was going crazy. Sure enough Quagy was on the guitar picking at the strings.

When my son and I did some investigating we found the guitar strings contained zinc.

My son has since changed the strings to zinc free, just to be on the safe side because Quagy likes to sit with him when he plays.

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-18-2017), Dragonlady2 (02-17-2017), Lady (02-20-2017), plax (02-18-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Unusual Safety Issues is a great topic, Rosalyn!

One that I will mention mainly applies to larger parrots who often spend time atop cages with a particular feature. That feature is swing-out food/water bay doors with flat back panels. If you have a large bird and such a cage, be very careful the bay doors remain closed and latched while your bird is out and playing/climbing on that cage. The reason is that, while perhaps unlikely to occur, it's possible the bird may slip or stumble when directly above one of the open bay doors. If the bird were to accidentally fall straight down, the perpendicular flat back panel on the open bay door below would serve as a blade that may sever the bird's body upon impact. Obviously, situations like this that can seriously injure or kill your bird should be precluded. Performing frequent inspection and remaining alert are the best policy.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (02-23-2017), Lady (02-20-2017), Quakerella (02-18-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Excellent idea for a thread. I think I have mentioned before (but worth mentioning again) about the catch that we had to remove from the top of Casper's cage after he got one of his toes trapped. Fortunately I was close by and heard his distress.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4455.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	4821
    Picture taken before we became aware of the danger.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-18-2017), kendrafitz (02-23-2017), Lady (02-20-2017), plax (02-18-2017), Quakerella (02-19-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I have seen numerous pictures of birds (usually lovebirds) sitting on the blades of a ceiling fan.

The brackets that attach the blades to the fan are usually made of zinc. This makes a ceiling fan a double whammy.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-15-2017), Lady (03-18-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Good call, Rosalyn. I've seen similar photos. They make me cringe.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

10. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (04-05-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I was at the bird store today and a young macaw had his lower beak stuck in the bottom ring holding wood toys on a chain. Like the rings on the bottom of this toy and holding the bell on.

Fortunately I saw him and let the owner know. It wasn't easy removing it. It was lodged in the middle of his lower beak. They used a needle nosed plier to pry the ring open. Good to know just in case anything like that happens.

So I will add metal rings that are not solid as a possible hazard. Freak accidents do happen and I was told it happens every once in a while. Poor little guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

12. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-07-2017), Dragonlady2 (04-05-2017), Lady (04-08-2017), plax (04-05-2017), Quakerella (04-05-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

I am glad you were there Kendra to bring it to the attention of the staff.

14. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-07-2017), Dragonlady2 (04-05-2017), kendrafitz (04-05-2017), Lady (04-08-2017), plax (04-05-2017)