User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From Indiana!

Hybrid View

Hello From Indiana!

Hi! I'm new to this site, but not new to exotic bird parenting. My first birds were way back when I was around 10, a sweet little pair of zebra finches! Since then I've been privileged to share my life with 2 cockatiels (One was with me from hand raising until he was 14!), several zebra finches, many parakeets and my last, a wonderfully silly blue and gold macaw!
    Unfortunately, I made a stupid decision to rehome my macaw---he was 10 and had been with me for 8 years. I wanted him to go to a less chaotic home (we have several rescue dogs) where he'd be the #1 star and get lots of attention and hours of out of cage time. The man who adopted him (for a ridiculously small amout $500---which included a $1600 cage) had me covinced he would provide the perfect home----no children at home, no dogs, cats or any other pet, and hours of time out of the cage daily. I was dumb and naive and bought his story hoo, line and sinker!
    That was this past June---I was crying as the man left with Rio, but so HAPPY that Rio was going to a wonderful, loving home. Last weekend I found out this man is selling my sweet boy! I offered to buy back Rio for the amount he was asking (more than he paid me) and got no reply. I called and left messages, texted---only to have my phone blocked. I messaged tge man through his hoobly username----wizardfitz---and while my messages (begging and pleading to buy my bird back) were read, he still refused to answer.
    I am completely heartbroken and scared and distraught over what fate lies ahead for my boy. All I can do now is pray every day that he is safe and loved. And this man has had SEVERAL ads on multiple sites selling other birds, from a Timneh African Grey to 3 little parakeets.
    Anyway, I am currently thinking of adopting a smaller species of bird to share my life. A cockatiel or lovebird or possibly a parrotlet, quaker or mustache parakeet.
    I'm so thankful for forums like this that are helpful to people who consider their winged children as deeply as I do.

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Hello Rachel. Welcome to PP.

Your story is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry this person duped you into handing over your beloved Rio. Bird flippers are a greedy, self-serving sort. To them, pets are objects with which to profit from. Nothing more. It's simply detestable!

My thought as far as a way to try and reacquire Rio would be to have a friend of yours respond to the flipper as an interested party with the goal of buying Rio back from him. Have you considered something like that? Maybe some of our other members have further ideas.

Please keep us updated about any developments.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

3. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-31-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-04-2017), Lady (02-04-2017), Quakerella (04-07-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Rachel,

to P.P.

I'm sorry that Rio and you have parted to an unjust man. It is truly sad what some folks do to others who trust in what they say. I like Tony's idea of trying to get someone you know to contact this person as an interested buyer for your Rio. I wouldn't know what to do myself if I were in your situation. If I read or think of a way that might have a chance of helping you out I will surely post it here.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-04-2017), PlaxMacaws (02-04-2017)

Well, I have realised that I am never going to see my B & G (Rio) again. This has been one of the hardest weeks of my life. I am experiencing actual physical and emotional pain over not knowing what happened or my be happening to my sweet boy. All my thoughts are focused on him, on how I may possibly convince this Mike Fitzpatrick to let me buy back my bird or at the very LEAST tell me he already sold him and maybe give my number to the new owners so they can let me know Rio is ok.
    I keep thinking about the day I bought Rio when he was just 2 years old. He was terrified and in a cat carrier. I knew how scary the whole situation was for him, and talked quietly to him as I was driving home. His carrier was on the front seat next to me, and I put my hand just in front of the carrier door. Sweet little Rio, having no idea what my intentions toward him might be, slowly reached through the crate door and too my finger in his little foot. My heart swelled at this smallest of gestures! I knew we'd be great friends.
    Some people can't comprehend the grief I've been experiencing all week. They may think, "It's JUST a BIRD for God's sake! Get over it already!" They may think, "Just go get another one!" They don't know what I do, that all parrots, even all blue and golds are NOT alike. Rio had a sense of humor. He distinguished between people and yes, even between my dogs. He used his vocabulary in CONTEXT.
    If I was cooking dinner or eating a snack he'd say, "Mmmm, do ya' like it?". If our son Garrett was trying to sleep late on the weekend out on our couch, Rio would say, "Garrett, Garrett, Garrett, WAKE UP!" If we were watching A Thousand Ways to Die and something horrible happened or if there were two people kissing (or more) in a movie, I'd hear from behind me, "Ooo, GROSS!" Rio even called the dogs and if they were barking too much he'd yell, "SHUT UP!" unfortunately in my voice. There are many, many more examples I could give you.
    My heart has a hole in it, my stomach a terrible knot. What will become of Rio? Where is he? What is he feeling emotionally? I can hardly function because every spare moment my mind is on him.
    This man, Mike Fitzpatrick, cares NOTHING about the torture I'm going through. Cares NOTHING about the zombie-like state I'm in or my total feeling of loss. I've been through having to have a pet euthanised ir having one die of old age. The pain of NOT KNOWING is 20x worse. I have to go on, but whenever there's a bird fair in Indiana, I will do everything I can to be there. If there's a swap meet, I'll be there. I'll continue to periodically search bird sale sites, hoobly, IndianaSuperAds, Petzlover and craigslist and to keep posting my story and Rio's pictures in the hope that the right person will see them and contact me. I will continue to email and message Mike Fitzpatrick in the hopes that God will soften his heat and he'll tell me where my boy is or sell him back to me.
    Other than that, all I can do is pray and hope that people share my story and this man's name so he doesn't do this to someone else.
    I had typed this up yesterday to post on a bird rescue's Facebook page. Last night, my dear sister, wanting to try to reason with this man, sent him a text. She basically asked why, if he didn't want Rio anymore, he wouldn't let Rio come home. He sent her a nasty reply saying:
    "1) She never said anything about wanting him back if I couldn't keep him.
    2) I sold him due to health reasons.
    3) I did not flip him as she claims (see #2).
    Do not stalk me again or I'll take legal action."
    Ok, first of all, both my husband and I asked him to please call us if there were ANY problems, that we would take him back.
    Second, I absolutely do not believe there were health issues.
    Third, I know for a fact from a third party that he does flip birds---also because I found 3 other ads, one for an African Grey, one for a female Blue and Gold and one for 3 parakeets.
    Fourth, he had so many opportunities to just say, "I'm sorry, I already sold him, he got a very good home."
    The cruel way he handled this shows what kind of a person he is.
    I can only tell myself that whoever bought Rio really loves him.
    Thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad I found this site!

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Rachel: It's very clear to me that you are in lots of pain over your loss of Rio. I am truly sorry for that. From what you say it appears that he has been placed with someone (i.e., sold) by the bird flipper person. I can imagine what you must be feeling... worrying whether or not your poor sweet feathered guy is now in a secure, loving home. My bet is there's a good chance that he's with someone who really wants him based on the presumably high price this flipper person probably charged the buyer. Most folks who are willing to spend upwards of $500 for a bird fully intend to love and care for it properly. I realize that's far from assurance of Rio's safety and happiness somewhere. But it's still something to consider. If you remain determined and alert, you may locate him one day. I sincerely hope you do. And I hope that when it happens you will find him healthy, happy and loved
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-05-2017), Lady (02-05-2017)

Thank you for your encouraging words.
    She decided to free herself, dance into the wind, create a new language. And birds fluttered around her, writing “yes” in the sky.
    Monique Duval

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Have you tried posting an ad in the same place as the seller explaining that there were extenuating circumstances that had you rehoming Rio, but that now you are able to care for him and are willing to pay the price he was sold for. Add how much you are grieving for him. You never know, maybe the buyer would consider this. I know that if I purchased a bird and had the previous owner wanting it back for the same reasons you shared, I probably would consider it.

11. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (02-05-2017), Lady (02-05-2017), plax (02-09-2017)

The man sold my bird. He still wouldn't say that Rio went to a good home. I've placed ads on both sites he had him for sale on, multiple facebook pages, and contacted vet clinics, rescues and shelters in the Indy area. I also placed ads on craigslist and hoobly.
    He lied. I had messaged him almost TWO MONTHS AGO asking if Rio was still doing well. More than once. With no reply. He just put those ads on those sites selling my bird on January 4th. He knew I would buy him back before he had him for sale. He's just not a nice person.
    She decided to free herself, dance into the wind, create a new language. And birds fluttered around her, writing “yes” in the sky.
    Monique Duval

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Welcome Rachel, sorry for being late responding.

Your story is so sad. My heart aches for you.

All great advise. The only thing I could offer is, if you put an ad in the same place where Rio was for sale maybe the new owners can contact you letting you know Rio is okay. At least this would give you some peace of mind. Explain the situation and how important it is to you to know he is being well taken care of. They may contact you.

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-06-2017), plax (02-09-2017)

Yes, I have done that. As well as contacted vet clinics and shelters in the area I think he's in.
    Monique Duval

16. The following user likes this post:

plax (02-09-2017)